Early 50's Gale 5hp runs hot.

Thunderhawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anybody have any idea how hot these actually run in a barrel. More specifically starboard side (exhaust?) cover. I'm guessing a 3 or 4 count, or maybee 180 degrees? Mine seems to get hot fast, but I've been thru everything short of pulling the two side engine covers and all looks fine,
impeller, leg is clear, powerhead has been off seems clear. I've tried to flush powerehead to no avail. I can find nothing wrong.:confused: Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Early 50's Gale 5hp runs hot.

Model number would help There are at least 2 types of impeller.
There are models you shouldn't take the rear cover off.probably at least 3 basic different motors.And a multitude of various versions.

Thunderhawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ser # 025-3569, Goodyear Seabee, vane type pump. Do these tend to run alittle hot? Thanks.

Thunderhawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Measured 190 degrees on the starboard engine cover with a thermocouple after work today, still seems too hot. I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have firsthand experience on how hot these powerheads get? Thanks for any help, Larry

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is water coming out the exhaust relief slots?Are the intakes clear?
Is the water tube in place and clear?As I recall There is an impeller that needs modification to work in this model.Unfortunately I don't know any details.You might check that the impeller drive pin hasn't sheared.
Rule of thumb head should be too hot to hold your hand on but not so hot it burns you.