E85 ?

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was getting gas in my truck this morning and just noticed a new sticker on the pump it said 10% ethanol, this is the station where I usually get fuel in my boat. My mtot is a 1984 Johnson V-4 90hp.. What im wondering is this gas bad for my motor and do I need to find another station, I also usually run a can of seafoam with every fill-up on the boat? I am just wondering if this fuel will do any damage to my motor?
Thanks in advance,
Robby

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: E85 ?

use the search function e85 millions of opinions.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I would definitely go to the station that does not have ethanol...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

My service manual for engines back to '94 say that E10 is ok......10% alkie.

My experience with alkie is that some polymers swell or disentegrate (spell?) when exposed to it for long periods. Back in '84 they may not have prepared for it. Do not know how long the midwest USA has been running E10 but it's been a long time and problems would surely have surfaced.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You are not looking at an "E85" sticker. You are looking at a regular grade fuel pump that is blended with 10% ethanol. That my friend is commonly referred to as "Ethanol Blended Fuel" or "E10" and it's been used here in Minnesota since 1997. That fuel can be used in any engine including your car. Older outboards may experience some fuel system problems as the ethanol does its job of cleaning up the gunk in the system and depositing in the fuel filter. It may also clean the gunk out of the carbs and plug up the small jets. A rebuild and filter change puts you back on the water. "E85" is 85% ethanol and 15% regular gasoline and must not under any circumstances be used in an outboard or any car that is not certified to run on it. My Impala runs almost exclusively on E-85 as long as its 40 cents cheaper than regular. Due to the lower fuel economy (but increased performance) if the difference is less than that its not a benefit.

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Newer engines have been built with the expectation of running with up to 10% ethanol. I'd check the owner's manual.

As a side issue: the ethanol can 'pull' water out of the air over time. Water in fuel can cause the engine to run lean - I don't know if 10% ethanol is enough to cause this on it's own.

-V

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

E-10 gets blamed by unscrupulous techs for all sorts of engine ailments. The real problem is most of them that are blamed on E-10 are fuel related and as I mentioned, engines that are gunked up to start with will get cleaned up and require carb rebuilds that were very likely due anyway. As I said, there are lots of boats in Minnesota (we have 10,000 lakes and a few ponds don't ya know) and have been using E-10 since 1997. It is not a problem. There are some issues with large fuel tanks in coastal areas. There are also problems with fiberglass fuel tanks (not plastic) in that the ethanol can get after certain types of resin.

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank ya Silvertip for all your help.You answered my question completely.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Alcohol in the fuel is a necessary evil forced on us by the EPA's attempts to 'clean' the air.

Alcohol in a boat is far different than alcohol in a car.

Most marine/industrial engines can tolerate a 10% blend without too much problems other than the alcohol attacking the fuel lines and fuel pump diaphragm, replace both every other year, you will notice a 'hardening' of the fuel line, then it's time to change both. You will not see the diaphragm problems until the fuel side layer deteriorates and flakes off, causing the needle to NOT seat and flood and/or the particles clog the idle jet plugs and idle quality falters. I have added small in-line filters between the pump and carbs to prevent carb problems.

In the two strokes the alcohol tho burning cooler than gasoline, displaces 10% of the gasoline causing the mixture to burn leaner, hotter than normal, idle mixtures may have to be fattened just a skoosh to compensate.

DO NOT ADD FUEL SYSTEM "DRYERS" such as 'Heat' as that additional alcohol puts you over then 10% limit. Instead, install a fuel/water seperating filter.