E35ELCND 1982 35 HP disconnect gearcase?

Playtime01

Cadet
How do I remove the gearcase from my Evinrude E35ELCND 1982 35 HP motor. I think I have to replace FF Shifter clutch dog (0319565 ). Gearcase is stuck in reverse and only goes in reverse no matter the postion of the shifter postion. Forward postion goes in reverse. Reverse postion goes in reverse. Neutral not sure but maybe in neutral. But I have to get it off to look inside. So if anyone knows how to take the gearcase off. Please let me know. Thanks.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: E35ELCND 1982 35 HP disconnect gearcase?

Before you tackle tearing apart your lower unit, I would suggest you get a factory repair manual. There are certain tools to use, and measurements to be taken.
Here is a link to look at the parts you will be dealing with. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1982/E35ELCND/parts.html

I was just wondering......Did you happen to remove the Phillips head screw by the drain and vent holes?

Playtime01

Cadet

Before you tackle tearing apart your lower unit, I would suggest you get a factory repair manual. There are certain tools to use, and measurements to be taken.
Here is a link to look at the parts you will be dealing with. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1982/E35ELCND/parts.html

I was just wondering......Did you happen to remove the Phillips head screw by the drain and vent holes?

Yes I removed Phillips head screw and bolts that hold gearecase on. Gearcase came loose a half inch but it will not come off any futher. Anyone know why?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Disconnect the upper nut on the shift linkage behind the water intake screens using two open end wrenches. Then slide the upper nut up the shift shaft to expose the plastic keeper that was underneath the nut. The keeper has a vertical slit, that your can spread and remove by using your fingernail, or a small screwdriver. Then shift the motor into forward and remove the nut. Remove the four bolts and nut on the front of the lower unit and remove it.

That Phillips head screw is the pivot pin for the shift yolk. If you removed it, you may have to totally disassemble the gear case to get it to line up. You can try to use a ice pick or something like that to try to get the hole lined up again to insert the pivot pin.

Attachments

• DSC00201.jpg
    DSC00201.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00202.jpg
    DSC00202.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If the clutch dog is bag, there's a 99% chance that the fwd gear is too.

OEM shop manual: outboardbooks.com or Ebay