E35ECSM electrics ****-up

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, condition slow turning starter. Honed battery terminals, renewed battery cable connectors. No help, but starter turns fine with plugs out.

Then I realized the main plus connector is sized for circuit switch that has a 10mm terminal post while the battery has 8mm. So I added the switch.
Now, there were sparks when I tried to connect ground to battery. After connecting, and throwing mains switch on sparks and smoke from rectifier. After turning mains off and on no more smoke, starter turns but bendix gear does not engage any more.
Evidently there is a short somewhere, but what happened when adding the switch. Did the too large connector act as a resistor and without its restriction current was too much?

And the bendix gear should rise mechanically. Why it is not rising any more? Troubleshooting this will be interesting and I will have to start with identifying everything that was burnt. Atleast I already recognize from the schematics that there's a black wire grounded on the rectifier terminal block that should not be there. Disconnected the starter does not engage, so I assume it is the lead that originally goes to neutral safety switch because that is inoperational.

Last edited:

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: E35ECSM electrics ****-up

Hah, I now realize I connected the battery cables to the wrong terminals. Everything seemed to test out ok and it could be that I had luck and nothing was burnt. Well, except the bad starter that was sour already before.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If smoke came out of the rectifier, that is most likely bad too.

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I also assumed, but it still tests out good. I'll see later does it also work.

By the schematics the path of least resistance should be from the battery through engine block to rectifier and back to battery through the rectifier positive lead if connected with wrong polarity. Some burn marks on terminal block at the positive lead and most smoke likely came from the oily residue on it.