E-tec 75 or TLDi90

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To push a planing hull weighing 2400lb all inc?<br /><br />Was set on the Tldi90 but been reading more and more positive postings on the E-tec, would love to go E-tec 90 but can only afford either 75 or the 90 TLDi.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: E-tec 75 or TLDi90

beg borrow or steal.. :) :) :) .<br />go with the e-tec....<br /><br />Just my $0.02

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what is your budget.....only about $500-$600 difference between 75 and 90 e-tec....

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check at ED'S Super Store he has some good pricing....<br /><br />EDIT: Please do not post direct links to commercial businesses. Referrals are okay, just no direct links.

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tldi 90 £5400 fitted, Etec 75 £5200 fitted, E-tec 90 £6200 fitted.<br /><br />Already sold one kidney, need the other one.....anyone interested in my missus, I can do a good price... :eek: )<br /><br />75 cheaper by £200, but 15hp less, PLUS TLDi needs about £150 service per year while the 75 needs about £50-70 for impellor each year. So I guess 75 is about £4-500 cheaper over 3 years.<br /><br />My mechanic says a merc 75hp 4 stroke (which he's trying to sell me... nah..) is plenty to push the boat, so I guess the 75 2 stroke will also suffice.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The 90 TLDI is the same weight has the TLDI 70, so...I would suggest the 90.

G

KHC:<br /><br />I think the 75 etec will be fine. I've heard it puts out 82 hp anyway. So, maybe you wouldn't be that much less HP than the 90. I have a 50 etec and really like it. <br /><br />By the way, what part of UK are you from. I lived in Cumbria. <br /><br />Bill

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

khc1970,<br /><br />I hope your 2400lb estimate includes hull, motor, gear AND passengers. At that weight, 75hp is probably underpowered.<br /><br />If you believe your stated relative maintenance cost estimates, the 90 E-TEC is only 10% more expensive over the same 3 years, and breaks even after 5 to 6 years.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bill In,<br />Where about in Cumbria did you live? I was born and lived in Ulverston for 22 years. Used to water ski on Coniston and sail on Windermere and now 10 mph ban on all the lakes. "Crag Rats" and "The Friends of the Lake District" have ruined the area.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The TLDI is an excellent engine that has been adapted to DFI, khc, but it doesn't exploit the opportunities for advanced technology that DFI and computer control offer elsewhere in the engine design.<br /><br />ETEC is designed from a clean sheet of paper to be DFI. Consequently it will be quieter, more fuel efficient (and oil efficient), require far less maintenance and I think be longer lived in normal use.<br /><br />I think that the ETEC engines have proven themselves in a very short time to be a full step ahead of other advanced technology 2 stroke outboards and well worth an additional initial investment of a few hundred pounds.<br /><br />However, no 75hp engine, ETEC, TLDI or 4 stroke, is going to make you happy if it underpowers your boat for your purposes. 2400# is too much for good performance from a 75hp anything and marginal in my eyes for a 90.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

winoandino

Seaman Apprentice

I have ran both engines and can tell you there is not much difference between the 75 and 90 hp E-Tec, both are VERY strong. If you can afford it I would go for the 90hp E-Tec, if not I doubt you will be dissapointed with the 75. Eith way go with the E-Tec it is superior to the TLDI.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The only advantage that E-tec actually has over any other DFI engine is that it meets the CARB 3 star requirements for being ECO friendly. As everyone elses DFI's ramp up this year that single advantage will disappear. All other advantages are either unproven or imaginary. Every brand hypes, and then proponents of that brand praises, the latest "state of the art design." Sometimes its even true.... for a very short period of time. But usually it's just a slight improvement over what the rest of the pack offers. FICHT was praised by OMC, OMC affectionados and if I remember correctly, by every technophile in the industry. It was out and being used by consumers for two years before the problems became common knowledge. I'm not saying that E-tec is going to have the same problems or any other problem for that matter, but until "Bubba" gets to play with it for awhile there is really no way of knowing if it is as good as its hype. Keep in mind that E-tec is a DFI...just like HPDI, OPTIMAX and TLDI. It's not radically different, just different. What makes E-tec a good engine to buy is that it is the first new thing done by OMC/BRP that has worked, in years ,without blowing up.

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 2400lb is likely to be the max weigh for the boat, 650kg boat, 150kg outboard, 200kg crew (I'm only 72kg) and tackles + equipment 100kg totalling 1100kg about 2400 lb.<br /><br />It works out at 25lb per hp for the 90 tldi or 30lb per hp for the 75 etec. Recently Boat Fishing Monthly did a review on a similar boat with 200kg less weigh getting close to 30knots on a Yammy 50 4 strokes.Unlike over at the US, we rarely get good enough sea condition to go WOT. Anythimg above 20knots cruising is good for me. <br /><br />Bill in IN: I live near the Solent, belonging to the Poole bay small boat angling club.

winoandino

Seaman Apprentice

WOW, Internet it must really **** you off that E-Tecs are doing so well, I'm sure that at whatever dealership you work you do your best to try and down play how well E-Tecs have done. These new engines really have Yamaha and Merc worried and your post just proves that. They have been on the market for over 2 years now with absoultly NO problems. They are the best engines on the market today, and the competition has no advantage. . .NONE, other than trying to remind people that Evinrude was once built by OMC which had proplems over 5 years ago. <br /><br />Get use to it, E-Tecs are here to stay. They offer the best performing, most fuel efficient, lowest maintance, and cleanest line of engines available and all the competition can do is try to compair them to FICHT or OMC's problems or whatever. Bottom line is they are just scared as I would be if my job had anything to do with selling Yamaha or Merc. <br /><br />BTW, tell me one thing Evinrude has advertised that is just "Hype" and cannot be backed by FACT.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Winoandino,<br /><br />So few E-Tecs have actually been sold that there is no substantial track record for its reliability. That was the only negative point that I have ever made about E-tecs. E-tecs are "best performing, most fuel efficient, lowest maintance, and cleanest line of engines available", please.....you have got to be kidding me! Stop reading from the Evinrude brouchure and exercise a little common sense. Some of the the E-Tecs are absolute dogs. Some have marginal advantages. The point of my previous post, if you will actually read it, was that E-tec technology was not, for the most part, new and that other than being three star rated....they are not any better. People who knock other peoples products tick me off, thats why I do not do it. Another thing that ticks me off is people who haven't got a clue about what they are talking about. I do not sell Yamaha or Mercury engines and could care less about how well BRP is doing. I sell between 400-500 loose outboards every year and in the last year only two consumers have even asked me what I thought about E-tecs. My response was that I had never heard about anyone having a problem with one. <br /><br />I hope E-tec works out for BRP. I really do. From everything that I have heard...no one is having breakdowns....yet. But the few that have hours on them don't really make up enough to say "Look At The Great Record Of E-tec", because there is no track record. In a few years, "Pirate Bob" or whoever, will have run his new E-tec and put a couple of thousand hours on it. Until then the jury is still out. <br /><br />As to Hype verus fact. Name one fact, other than emissions that makes E-Tec better than any other brand...there isn't any. In an individual model of E-tec you can cherry pick one stat over another brands stat in the same hp, but thats like racial profiling...it's just wrong. <br /><br />Tomorrow, next month, next year, someone's advertising hype will directly target E-tec. Someone will than proudly say that that brand is the best. And I will say the exact same thing about them as I say about E-Tec. Do not believe everything that you read and only time will tell.

G

Lost:<br /><br />I lived in that same general area (Lake district). It's been yeeeeeaaaars since I lived there but we were in a couple of towns. Cartmel, Askam-in -Furnress--any of these sound familiar? Had uncle in the town of Coniston (climbed the "old man").<br /><br />Bill

winoandino

Seaman Apprentice

Performance: Its a fact that any E-Tec will outperform a comperable 4-Stroke. The test shown in Evinrude's infomercial has been backed by independant test. If Evinrude had lied about their performance don't you thing Merc or Yamaha would have sued for false advertising??? I haven't seen anything from them to rebute the infomercial. Bottom line is these are the strongest outboards available in their respective HP range, specially the V-6's and just wait until the new 60 degree V-6's come out next year with variable valve timing, they will be awesome!<br /><br />Fuel Economy: <br /> Idle 3000RPM WOT<br />E-Tec 50hp - 39.9MPG 7.9MPG 6.9MPG<br />Merc 50hp 4-S - 11.6MPG 7.3MPG 7.1MPG<br />Yama 50hp 4-S 11.9MPG 5.7MPG 8.8MPG<br /><br />These test were done on a 17' X-Press aluminum boat.<br />Over the entire operating range the 50hp E-Tec has the best fuel economy 3 times better as I troll. And don't even make me compair fuel economy of a V-6 E-Tec vs. a Verado.<br /><br />Lowest Maintance Cost: According to Yamaha's owners manual their 4-S should have 7 scheduled dealer visits, Verado has 3, E-Tec has 1. No oil change, only the cost of oil to incur and with E-Tec getting around 40-50hrs out of a tank of oil most people can get away with filling the tank once a season.<br /><br />You even have to concede about E-Tec being cleanest.<br /><br />So it looks like it is a little more than hype, again name one thing you think they have lied about in their advertising. What was that. . . oh yeah you can't. <br /><br />Come back when you have a stronger argument than "only time will tell" because after 2 years on the market time is telling us that these engines are shaping up to be as reliable as anything Yamaha or Merc have ever produced.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wino....<br /><br />I'm not meaning to step into this hornets nest between you and internet...but the info you just posted suggests that @ WOT E-Tec has worse fuel economy.... are the numbers correct..BTW I'm E-Tec all the way....<br /><br />Internet....
I do not sell Yamaha or Mercury engines and could care less about how well BRP is doing. I sell between 400-500 loose outboards every year and in the last year only two consumers have even asked me what I thought about E-tecs.
Then what do you sell....just curiuos...cause if you don't sell these and can't care less about BRP...where do you stand...if these BIG THREE aren't part of your sales...what are your opinions based on...

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Maybe English is a second language for some. I haven't said anything about false or misleading advertising nor did accuse BRP of lying. I simply stated that the hype(look it up in a dictionary it means publicize)associated with all brands(go back and re-read my post I said all) is is often fleeting. I'm not sure how much clearer I can put this but here goes:<br /><br />1) E-Tecs are three star rated and that makes them the cleanest....today. Every other brand DFI's will also be three star rated starting in 3 months to 15 months. BIG DEAL<br /><br />2) E-tecs out perform 4-strokes....Who's arguing with that, not me. I loathe 4-strokes. But saying the E-Tec line is the "strongest in their hp range" is a lie. The 40 and 50 Etecs are dogs and the 75 and 90 Etecs do not perform any better than any other DFI in those sizes. The larger ones do have a tiny, tiny edge, today. BIG DEAL<br /><br />3)Maintenance costs are relative...Lets see in three years exactly what the costs are to rehabilitate a engine that has not had any maintenance. Experience, something some people obviously do not have, tells me that BRP's marketing stragtegy(designed to grab back market share with this ploy...and good for them.) will come back to bite them. I don't know that for sure...and neither does anyone else. BIG DEAL<br /><br />4)I simply can not believe that my not worshiping E-Tec was construed as an attack on the design. Time and time again I have seen inovations that were praised by loyal brand fans turn out to be disasters. E-Tecs came out of the FICHT disaster. They are improved FICHT engines. Yea Team! Knowing where something comes from is part of what consumers need to know. <br /><br />When numbers of E-Tecs have been out in the field for years(that has not occured yet) and people have not had problems with them, I will be the first to sing their praises. Until that day comes a prudent person will always say,<br />ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, didn't expect to stir up a hornet nest.<br /><br />This is a very difficult dicision. Do I choose a 18 years old college leaver, extremely sexy, good in the sack :) , has all the right looks, and surely be the envy of the guys; or do I go with the trusted church going widow down the road, who I know is a good mother, decent, god fearing, looking after me and the young children, a little passed her best, nothing spectaculer but still good enough to have in my arms?<br /><br />I've made my mind up and motor is going in next week.<br /><br />Thanks you for everyone who inputed.