Dying 2004 F150 Yammy

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When the motor is running and I operate the trim/tilt the motor quits! I have noticed over the last couple of months that when the motor is running at speed and I operate the trim there is a sudden "glitch" in the power but then runs fine. The problem is intermittent but seems to be getting worse. I checked electrical connections on the motor and all seem fine. Any ideas?? Thanks..........Sherm

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Dying 2004 F150 Yammy

You have a bad ground somewhere on the motor, either on the lug or wire terminal. Remove the insulation over the wire terminal crimps and look at them real good. It is a ground problem, not a power/ hot wire problem. FRED

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Fred, I'll go over it all again. Figured it must be something electrical being its intermittent. Out today with the boat and it didn't do it once! Sherm

Sherm, not related to your problem, I was wondering if you've had any balancer problems with your 04 F150?

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Funny you should mention that Greg, I just contacted a local Yammy dealer this AM and gave them my S# number to check it for recalls. It came back that it was not recalled. I find that kinda strange because my motor was actually built in 2003 so was obvioulsy one of the first ones that came out and, from what I've read on here they are the ones that had the problem. I've only got 432 hrs on the motor (F8 kicker has 4000!!) and it still runs good but the balancer issue has me worried now. I'm going to write Yamaha a letter and bring up my concerns with them and have them double check everything. Have you had issue's??? Sherm

Well, I just bought a 2004 Lund Fisherman 1800 with an early 04 F150 with only 95hrs. I took the boat out for the first time last weekend and she starts, runs flawlessly but, I did here a strange whurring / whining sound that changed with rpms. I did a google search on Yamaha F150 whining and found out about all the balancer issues.

I contacted my local Yamaha service tech and he has never heard of the problem and he contacted Yamaha Canada to see if they would cover the repairs even though the engine was long out of warranty, they were going to until they found out my engine was sold in the US.(I brought the boat up from Montana) So I then contacted Yamaha US and they are no longer covering this as a goodwill item, motor has to be under warranty, so I am SOL! If I was you I'd talk to your Yamaha dealer to see if they can get you in and let Yamaha cover the replacement on their dime while you still can.

I found this on Youtube, maybe it can help you decide whether or not your engine is having issues.
Bad balancer,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36GhDLez8c

Balancer replaced,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWXwPkmkUhE&NR=1

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Greg, appreciate that. I've sent some "mail" off to Yammy Canada to see what they have to say about it. I'm guessing if they say "no" that the Yammy dealer won't get anything out of them. I guess the boat warranties are like the vehicle ones in the States. If you buy them down there and bring them across the warranty is void, pretty damned stupid if you ask me. Snowmobiles the same thing, buy them 4 grand cheaper down there (but made in Canada!!) and no warranty when you bring them back across. I do have a bit of a " whine" in the motor, been there forever but if Yammy can fix it gratis then I'm up for that............Sherm

Good luck, I hope they take care of you!

I just ordered the parts for my F150 from a Yamaha dealer in Cucamonga, CA. Updated balancer and 2 seals with Fedex overnight shipping came to $685usd, dealer here in Calgary wanted $1175 just for the balancer! Why do we Canadians alway's get the shaft?