DYI - Spray Liner

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am planning on removing the carpet that is around my motor (which is now power trim fluid soaked) and putting something else down. I have a stern drive baot and the motor is under a sun deck (not sure if that is the right term) so nobody will see the area unless working in the motor area. Ideally I would like a truck bedliner type surface, can I do this myself without too much trouble? Has anyone had any experience in this?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: DYI - Spray Liner

You can purchase the liner by the gallon and use a roller to apply it or you can purchase spray cans of the stuff but, it does not apply as thick nor is it as effective.

Since this is not a "visual" place why not use an epoxy paint. I believe it is close in price with the bed liner. If you decide to spray the liner on from a gallon can.... it never (my opinion) becomes the non slip finish as advertised.

So, yes you can do it yourself and the cheapest way may be with a roller.

studlymandingo

Commander

Go for it! Just remember, as with anything else in life, preparation is the key to success. With the power trim fluid on there now, you need to make very sure that all traces of the oil are gone before proceeding with the resurfacing. After a good cleaning with a solvent, follow up with a TSP solution washdown. Either the bedliner or an epoxy will be a good surface in there. I'm not a fan of carpet anyway (I have none in my house or boat).

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[quote ] After a good cleaning with a solvent, follow up with a TSP solution washdown.
What solvent is recommended for this type of clean-up? Are there any paticulars that are known to "eat" the fiberglass/resins and should be avoided?

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can actually wipe down fiberglass wtih styrene, which is the original solvent and it wont' melt.

But you are trying to remove oil residue, so you need oil remover types of things. Soaps, or simple green degreaser, etc. I would do a final wipe down with mineral spirits or acetone before the paint job to remove that last residues.

This is one of those where that little bit of oil that is setting in a pit in the fiberglass will create no end of trouble.

I would, personally, scrub it down with simiple green or similar. and power wash the %^#$# out of it. If I saw any oil sheen in the water from the power wash, I'd go back to scrubbing with simple green.

This is kind of like cleaning the garage floor before you epoxy paint it..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The best bilge cleaner I've found is waterless hand cleaner, I use it on everything now. I was trying to clean my bilge with assorted bilge cleaners and degreasers with less than desired results, when I got tired of srubbing, I went in the house to clean up and the hand cleaner easily removed the gunk on my hands. I went back out side and cleaned the entire bilge in a few minutes with the hand cleaner and a small brush.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

We recently used bedliner on the entire inside deck of a jon boat after putting in an aluminum floor. You can spray the liner sold in gallons, but you have to have a texture gun, a decent size compressor, and a good respirator. It sprays fine right out of the can, but can be thinned with xylene if you want. Final wipedown should be with xylene or mek, never mineral spirits. If you do not thoroughly clean and wipe down the surface, you will basically have a mold for a large sheet of urethane that will come up when it cures.

hoytheld

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did the bed of my truck with a kit from ebay...it is a very sweet and simple system!! go to ebay and search Raptor Bed Liner...came with gun, rubber, and hardner...the bottles of rubber just screw on the gun...very easy!! Shot it at about 60-80 psi...worked very well!! the kit was enough to do two 6' full size beds at less than 1/8" coverage each...It ain't no Rhino liner...but for $90 all I wanted was the look...not function...I like the product...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

If you go DIY, you can use Herculiner, that stuff works pretty good. I am a fan of Evercoat No-Skid because it is way less expensive, is imperviouse to petrolium products, and applies with a brush. Epoxy paint or polyurethane paint will work just fine as well. As has been said, prep is key. Clean the surface, and rough it with some 80 grit, and whatever you use will work just fine. Good luck.....