Durabak on a Lund Boat deck

Joe5688

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and after a ton of research I can't seem to find the answers i'm looking for. I have rotted deck boards on my Lund 1890 Pro-V. I'm replacing the boards and i'm going with durabak coating instead of carpet.

Couple of questions for anyone with experience.

Do i still need to coat the Marine ply even though it's going to be sealed with the durbak lining or does Marine ply not need to be coated in anything?

Should i fasten all of the 3 deck boards down and then durbak over it? I worry about not being able to access my tank if the day ever comes. Or should i Durabak each piece and then fasten it down over the durabak with stainless fasteners?

Does fresh wood need to be prepped for the lining or can it go directly on it?

I'm sure i have a few more questions but thats all I can think of now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Have you looked at replacing the transom and stringer? Really good chance if the deck is rotten they will be too.

Joe5688

Cadet
My boat is all aluminum. I believe my stringers and transom are aluminum also.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I don't know about Durabak over raw wood... I used it over freshly fiberglassed wood. I have not been impressed with its durability. I'd consider installing vinyl instead, if it were me.

Joe5688

Cadet
What wasn't durable?

Since I can't sleep I've been researching a ton.from what I've read you cut and drill all the plywood to fit, pull it off, resin it, sand it down a little and then durabak over it. I almost see no negative reviews on the durabak. Seems as most people are satisfied with it

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Not sure of your Lund's year but I've never heard of an aluminum transom, I would bet on it being wood (sandwiched between AL) and in the same shape as the decking. (I thank you for using the word decking since flooring is in a kitchen ;))

Yes you should seal marine ply the same as any other. It's just a higher grade of of plywood with waterproof glue, more plys to make up it's thickness and no voids to cause weak spots. Marine ply is still naked bare wood. You could use spar to seal the ply, expensive resin is not a must. Any coating having longevity and durability comes down to surface prep. I'm with you on not covering the fasteners with a below deck fuel tank. Be sure to put in a deck plate over the sending unit/fittings.

Seriously consider exploring the possibility the transom wood is rotten because now is the time to replace it not when the motor rips off and sinks. You may also find the flotation foam has become water logged too. All these things are signs that someone in the past was too lazy and or cheap to cover the boat from the elements.

Joe5688

Cadet
How can I tell if the transom is rotted? Seems solid to me. It's riveted entirely in aluminium.

Watermann

The transom is not riveted entirely in aluminum. There's holes all through it for everything mounted to it and under the spashwell the plywood will be exposed where you can see it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
What wasn't durable?

Since I can't sleep I've been researching a ton.from what I've read you cut and drill all the plywood to fit, pull it off, resin it, sand it down a little and then durabak over it. I almost see no negative reviews on the durabak. Seems as most people are satisfied with it

Can you post the links you found with reviews of Durabak? There were very few when I decided to use it. I'd be curious to read how it has held up for others. I loved how it looked right after I installed it. It just hasn't held up very well.

Joe5688

Cadet
Can you post the links you found with reviews of Durabak? There were very few when I decided to use it. I'd be curious to read how it has held up for others. I loved how it looked right after I installed it. It just hasn't held up very well.

I just searched durabak, or replacing deck and majority of what I found was people saying how it was a great product. Some said it was hard to clean but that's about it.

Watermann

Any non skid surface is tough to clean when compared to something slick. Fishing boats that see a lot of use always have more issues with the deck surface holding up which makes me wonder why on earth the manufacturers put carpet in them.

Joe5688

Cadet
Probably cause it's cheaper and easier than other coatings and it hide imperfections.