duel line pressure fitting O-rings?

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm having a terrible time getting the old O-rings out of this duel line pressure fitting, I remember seeing somewhere a picture of the tool's (I remember them being something simple) here's a picture of the fitting I'm working on and the tools I'm using to do it.

I got 1 O-ring out, but the other one won't budge.

can anyone help me out with this, a picture, a link, or something?

I did some google searching and didn't find anything.

Attachments

• 100_0992.jpg
    100_0992.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Re: duel line pressure fitting O-rings?

Here's a link to the duckworks article on pressure tanks. It has a link to the Evinrude service bulliton on the o ring tools among a lot of other things.
Duckworks magazine/Max
But yeah, those o rings can get kind of old and hard sometimes. Your tools look pretty much like mine. Might wind up having to get it out a piece at a time.

Cheers..................Todd

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Save your energy. You will work yourself to death trying to get those petrified o-rings out. Sacrifice a long series 5/64" allen wrench by cutting the arm off at the bend. Then insert the arm into the nipple and use a hammer to knock the brass bushing out of the connector. Then it is a piece of cake to put in a new seal and pound the whole assembly back in the connector. Anything less than an allen wrench will just bend. Been there, done that.

Mr.Stuart

Sacrifice a long series 5/64" allen wrench by cutting the arm off at the bend. Then insert the arm into the nipple and use a hammer to knock the brass bushing out of the connector.

I was wondering how you could get that bushing out of there, I'll do that, thanks for the tip.

I'll be using this connector with the Johnson 5.5 I've been talking about in that other thread.

I have three of those connectors, and I had been messing around with the one on the picture and had bead blasted all the paint off it (with the intention of repainting it) and got sand inside, so one of the valves is kind of sticky anyway because of getting sand blast sand in it, (so getting it apart will be a good thing then I can really clean it out)

I'll post pictures of the process in the other thread, I always wondered just exactly how those were put together anyway, so, thanks for the advice.

out of the 3 connectors I have, this one is in the worst shape, so I decided to put new O-rings in this one first just in case I messed something up, I would at least have a couple more connectors to work with.

thanks for the tip F_R

Mr.Stuart

I followed F-R's advice and decided to drive out the parts because the valve was hanging up anyway on the air pressure side of the fitting.

I didn't want to sacrifice a 5/64 Allen because I couldn't find one other then one included in a complete set of Allen wrenches (and I had no spares) so off to Harbor freight I went looking for a 5/64 roll pin punch.

it turns out they didn't have one either, but they did have a 1/8 inch roll pin punch that came with a set, and I needed a set anyway, so I bought it.

I had to drill out the nipple with a 7/64 drill bit in order to get the 1/8 roll pin punch to fit.

I posted some pictures so you can see whats inside one of these little fittings, along with the roll pin punch I used to get it apart.

I didn't like the idea of drilling out the fuel line nipples, but that's the only option I had with the tools I had on hand to work with.

I would suggest that if your going to take one of these apart, I would buy a 5/64 roll pin punch, I see them on the internet for about 7 bucks, and I'm sure if you have a large enough hardware store close to home, you might be able to pick one up there.

I do see some benefits to knocking one of these fittings apart rather then using the old poke and pick method.

this fitting had corrosion in it, and it was the corrosion that was causing the valve to stick, there was no way I could have cleaned out the corrosion with out being able to knock it apart.

I have 3 of these fittings. but this particular one was in bad shape, and in my opinion, it was trash, and should have been thrown away, so I decided to "experiment" with it to see if I could save it.

while I had it apart, I decided to repaint it, I'll be able to clean the corrosion out of it so the valve won't stick anymore, and will be able to use it on the fuel tank I restored last summer.

with out knocking it apart, I would have had to throw it away, so now that it's been saved, I still have 2 spare fittings for future projects.

thanks F_R for the tip, it helped a lot

Attachments

• 100_0993.jpg
    100_0993.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0995.jpg
    100_0995.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0
  • fitting.JPG
    fitting.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • finished_fitting.JPG
    finished_fitting.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

himarknrmk

Recruit

I have 3 of these I want to do the same thing with. What did you use for new O-rings?