Dual Marine Stereo Static

Laddyboy

Cadet
I installed the stereo a month ago. Everything was working great. 1st time out on the water I decided to turn on some tunes and it was full of static. With the engine running or not. At low volume it's fine but any more than 1/4 of the way up it's terrible. Tonight I tried regrounding the unit and New 16 gague speaker wire and connectors to no avail.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Dual Marine Stereo Static

My guess would be that you've got a bad connection somewhere, or a bad head unit. Personally I wouldn't touch Dual products. You can spend just a little more and get something much better (Clarion, Alpine, Sony etc.). Check to be sure every connection is good (speakers too), and if it's still doing it, you probably need a new stereo.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Is this boat an I/O and did you happen to have the blower on? If not, is there some other electrical item on the boat that was on at the time. Motors, cell phone chargers, and anything with a switcher type power supply can cause static on the radio. Installation of filters may help as would re-routing the power wires. Connectng those directly to the battery may help.

Laddyboy

Cadet

My guess would be that you've got a bad connection somewhere, or a bad head unit. Personally I wouldn't touch Dual products. You can spend just a little more and get something much better (Clarion, Alpine, Sony etc.). Check to be sure every connection is good (speakers too), and if it's still doing it, you probably need a new stereo.

Spent $50 on it on Black Friday. Hard to pass that up.
Thanks

Laddyboy

Cadet

Is this boat an I/O and did you happen to have the blower on? If not, is there some other electrical item on the boat that was on at the time. Motors, cell phone chargers, and anything with a switcher type power supply can cause static on the radio. Installation of filters may help as would re-routing the power wires. Connectng those directly to the battery may help.

It's an Bayliner Capri with a force 85 HP outboard. Nothing is on when I am playing the radio. I'll run it straight to the battery and see it that makes a difference.
Thanks

Laddyboy

Cadet

I got it fixed. I went right to the battery like you suggested and no static. So I stated look at my groud post. It was all yuckie. I pulled it and sanded on the green stuff off it and it's working like a champ. I also ran new 16 ga speaker wire. Sounds great. Thanks for the suggestions. It helped get me on the right track.