DT75 Replace or Rebuild Power Trim/Tilt ?

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Everybody.
I have an '86 DT75 with power trim and tilt...at least it used to have power.
I bought it two years ago, and the power trim and tilt worked but sounded like it was weak...worked fine for about a year and half. I didn't know if that was the sound it normally made though.
At one point it made a pathetic sound and died (it still makes a weak sound but does not raise the motor).
I checked the fluid level periodically and it was always as full as the manual specified.

My question is should I have the unit rebuilt by professionals (there is a great shop that does quality work nearby) or should I buy a new aftermarket unit. Has anyone had experience with PTT rebuilds or aftermarket brands?

I've been getting in the water with a screwdriver to manually raise and lower the sonofagun. I hurt my back after the hurricane last fall so I don't think that is an option this year...plus the water is still cold enough to make you sing soprano.

Thanks for any suggestions!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: DT75 Replace or Rebuild Power Trim/Tilt ?

Could be the motor is all that needs replacing, never know until you look

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not experienced with PTT and I don't want to damage anything beyond the point of repair.
What would be the best way to troubleshoot the unit.
it appears to have seals/gaskets that would have to be replaced since they are cracked...at least at the edges.

If it turns out to be the motor then what is the best way to repair/replace it?

robert graham

Admiral

My impessions of a tilt and trim unit is that they're not easily rebuilt or repaired by the average shade-tree mechanic(like myself). The motor can be repaired or replaced, if that's the problem, which it could be. Maybe wire battery momentarily directly to the motor to establish if it may be your tilt/trim relay, which would be an easy fix. I believe a Yamaha shop could replace your entire tilt/trim unit with a new or rebuilt unit for about $1200-$1500, including unit and labor...Good Luck!:)

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

$1200-$1500...HS!!!
Maybe I should just buy a new aftermarket unit. They are much less expensive.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

why not find out what the problem is before buying anything

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the relay is bad then shouldn't it not make any sounds other than a "clicking" when I'm pushing the switch?

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

If the relay is bad then shouldn't it not make any sounds other than a "clicking" when I'm pushing the switch?

not nessasarily,if relay contacts are dirty not enough power getting to motor. bypass relay see if it helps. i have a dt75 parts motor that still has trim and tilt, if intersted ill see if its working. has sat inside shed for a year.

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

What does it mean if after the PTT "burned out" that the motor now will "jump" up and smack back down in reverse in proportion to the amount of throttle?

Obviously it did not do that before it conked out.
It must not have any pressure in the lines if it is not being held in place anymore.

What dos that symptom indicate problem-wise?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

sounds like you are out of fluid or the manual release valve is open
Not sure what you mean by burned out

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fluid is full.
Manual release valve is closed.

Any thoughts?

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I finally had the time to take the Power trim/tilt motor apart.
Here's what I found;

The pump motor was contaminated with milky oil and water, mostly oil and it was rotten smelling...like bad electrical if you know that smell.
The bearing between the armature and the pump turns rough...it's not totally shot but eventually it will be.
I spun the armature by hand and the more I did the more it smoothed out.
It feels tighter (there was a little side-side play) and smoother now.

However, there is no other way for oil to intrude from the reservoir than the bearing seal.
Everything points to the fact that the bearing seal is compromised.

I sprayed the components of the whole assembly with brake clean and am considering reassembly.
If I could somehow find a suitable bearing and replace it, I would, but I have no idea where to start looking.

Does anybody know where a replacement bearing could be found?
Thank You!

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK here's what I did.

I greased the bearing from both sides and packed a bit on the top and bottom.
I slipped a tight, thick rubber grommet over the shaft on the bottom and pushed it up to protect the bearing and the grease in the recess from the fluid in the reservoir.

I also had the brushes and springs replaced...the armature was in good condition.
The shop only charged me $20!

I reassembled it all and believe me...it took some doing.

Then I filled the reservoir and bled the air from the system by manually raising and lowering it about 15 times.
the motor weighs 235lbs so it was like doing a set of squats with the required 5 minutes (to let the bubbles settle out) between lifts...it sucked.

I then topped off the reservoir with fluid (ATF) and firmly tightened the manual release valve.

When I hit the switch it went up and down strong!
Thanks to everyone who contributed the total success of this rebuild!!!