DT75 Power Trim/Tilt burned out? Rebuild possible?

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Everybody,
I have a 1986 DT75 and the Power Trim/Tilt quit on me the other day. It slowly lost power as I tried to raise it and made a "dying" sound then quit completely. I have a service manual and I checked to see if it was low on Fluid. I added an ounce or two and tried raising it manually, locking it, waiting, lowering it manually, raising it, checking it to see if it needed fluid and it appears full...ran out a little actually. So at this point I believe I burned the motor out. Has anybody done a good rebuild, or know how. I'm not sure what to use for seals when I put it back together since the material the service manual recommends is no longer manufactured. It needs to be an oil resistant sealing material. I'm considering buying an after market unit since Suzuki no longer manufactures the original. But If I can rebuild it I would rather save the money.
Thanks for any knowledge or advice!

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: DT75 Power Trim/Tilt burned out? Rebuild possible?

I would recommend just getting a new pump. I picked up a new one for my 150 Yamaha for about $100 a few weeks ago. Before you do that though get a voltmeter and verify that you're getting 12v to the trim motor. Or try hooking a 12v source to the motor itself and see if it works that way. If it runs straight off the battery or you're not getting 12v at the motor then you need to look at the relays for the trim motor or the switch for the trim.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

The motors have magnets,armature, and brushes in them, so some repairing could be done depending on what is wrong.
After testing to be sure the motor is the problem, take it apart and see

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

It might be a while before I can resolve the issue. I'm probably going to leave it in a down position until I take it out for the winter. I'll raise and lower it manually if I need to trailer it. If I take it apart later this year I will post the results./questions.
Thanks for the help.