Drying out the exhaust

Eliminator

Cadet
Bought my first inboard recently, had outboards before but wondered if anyone really worried about that water potentially sitting in the mufflers with some exhaust valves open and the resulting corrosion? Any cool tricks?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Drying out the exhaust

Ayuh,....

I guess you should explain your question alittle better,....

Boats run a Wet Exhaust system,.....
You only Dry them out when putting them away for the Winter, or when Freezing temps are anticipated....

arks

Lieutenant Commander

You only Dry them out when putting them away for the Winter, or when Freezing temps are anticipated....

Not necessarily, Bondo- A lot of people (including me) run pink antifreeze thru the engines and leave 'em like that for the winter.

As far as the question- normal winter layup includes fogging the engines, which (in theory) coats the internals with a film of oil. In 20+ years I've never worried about it. If you're really concerned you can drain the muffler or squirt a little oil into the cylinders and turn the engines over to spread it.

Uraijit

Banned

Not necessarily, Bondo- A lot of people (including me) run pink antifreeze thru the engines and leave 'em like that for the winter.

As far as the question- normal winter layup includes fogging the engines, which (in theory) coats the internals with a film of oil. In 20+ years I've never worried about it. If you're really concerned you can drain the muffler or squirt a little oil into the cylinders and turn the engines over to spread it.

Ol' Bondo was referencing the PROPER way to winterize. There are a lot of folks who don't winterize at all...

And there are a lot of folks who do it your way.

All of the above tend to go starting a lot of "water in my oil" threads, come about late April/Early May...

It's a lot easier to pull 6-8 brass plugs out of the engine once a year, than to replace an engine just one time.

There's just no convincing some folks though... Lots of 'em "know better" than the manufacturers, how to deal with their boats. :rolleyes:

Eliminator

Cadet

Let me explain what I was trying to get across. I was really just wondering if anybody dries out their exhaust pipes when putting the boat on the trailer between lake visits? And if so how could you do it?
My mufflers are like 5" plastic pipe with 3" reducers and covered with fiberglass so there would be a tendancy for a little water to stay in them when pulling the boat out. Being that water is warm and you have some exhaust valves hanging open isn't there potentially a problem with cylinders corroding between lake visits? Am I getting too deep?:confused:

Uraijit

Banned

If anything, you might want to run the boat on muffs to get the dirty water out, and have some clean water in there.

If you're running it in salt water, then that's a good idea for sure.

But the exhaust system is designed to keep water from getting back into the engine...

Eliminator

Cadet

Just getting to carried away I guess! was just concerned about condensation!
Thanks!