Draining Power steering pump 2008 5.7 Gxi?

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I keep reading posts about draining the power steering pump when winterizing.

My engine is a 2008 Volvo 5.7 Gxi DP and in the manual it only talks about draining the following:

1. Manifolds - 2 plugs
2. Block - 2 plugs
3. 2 hoses on raw water pump
4. 1 hose for recirc pump
5. 1 hose for fuel pump

I subscribe to the air doesn't freeze concept so I just made sure lots of water came out of the manifolds and block and drove about 10 miles to the storage place with the plugs out.

I'm assuming the power steering cooler (assuming there is one on my engine) is somehow drained based on the instructions above?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Draining Power steering pump 2008 5.7 Gxi?

Yes, it's the power steering pump COOLER, not the power steering pump itself, that you want to drain. It's usually the first thing the water from the drive passes through on the inside of the boat. Just follow the small hoses from the cooler to the power steering pump. Then you will know you found the right cooler.
Not sure on yours, but they are usually set up so when you remove the hoses to the raw water pump, it also drains the PS pump cooler.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Draining Power steering pump 2008 5.7 Gxi?

Thanks Don,

I pulled all of the hoses specified in the manual and any other hose from the thermostat just to be sure. But since the manual didn't say anything about the power steering pump cooler I never looked, if I didn't get it it's probably to late now anyways as we've had several light freezes already and the boat is completely wrapped now.

Cheers.