drainage

mudchuck

Seaman
Hi all,
I'm in the process of restoring a 1969 Starcraft V-hull.
So far I've pulled what appears to be some original decking and buoyancy foam out, and a piece that is newer with 2" blue board under it.
It looks as if someone did a repair to the front portion, but the back looks original and in bad shape.
Anyhow, the wood & foam are all out, and now I'm looking at aluminum that is in pretty good shape, just grimy. Hull is intact and amazingly no leaks.
I've searched this site and others but cannot seem to find anything close to what I'm about to ask. I'm wanting to install some kind of drainage tube down the middle under new foam boards and decking.
I'll post pictures soon, but for now, I'm looking for insight as to how to go about making sure I can drain the bottom, since the ribs have what looks like to way to get water past them to the rear where I could place a sump.
Anyone every notch the ribs to lay in a drainage tube?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't notch ribs for any reason and you don't need a tube for drainage.

The ribs have limber holes at the lowest part of the "V" for drainage between ribs. It takes a lot of pressure washing to clean out the crud that collects and blocks the limber holes over the years.

I said no need for a tube because the foam sheets should sit on top of the ribs so there is 1" to 3/4" space for any water to flow through the limber holes to the bilge.

mudchuck

Seaman
Thanks GA.
I did notice a slight indent in the bottom of the ribs, and I did wash them out, but was just thinking they don't seem to be enough to drain any accumulated water.
The old foam was beat, and I suspect I still have some picking to do to get at some of the pieces still lodged in there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use a pressure washer. the original drain system works well. no need to add.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
A thorough pressure wash including inserting spray into each open end of the ribs with eventually get the crud out. Notching any structure will concentrate the stresses and crack and destroy any value of your hull. Just don't put flotation directly against areas that are likely to need drainage. I would not use expanding foam as it is difficult to control and may block areas from draining. - Grandad

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
the original drain system works well. no need to add.

I don't really agree with that.The limber holes are too small and clog almost immediately no matter how well you clean 'em out. However, as mentioned, as long as you don't have foam sitting right on the bottom in water, it doesn't really matter as long as it can breath and dry out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your not supposed to have mud in your boat.

my limber holes on my tinny clogged due to the ants that decided they want to live in the boat when it sat at dad's unused for 6 years, however the pressure washer took care of them.