DPS Drive does not trim down as low as before.

xixp

Cadet
Hi ,

I got a Regal 2010 with 8.1 Gi engines and DPS drives.
For the last couple of months the starboard drive is trimming down less than it used to be.It used to reach minus 9 degrees , a month ago it started to reach just minus 7 and yesterday it could only reach minus 4.
I guess this must be due to lack of pressure in the trim cylinders, right? Should I check trim fluid level? or is there anything else to check ? (I did not see any fluid leak and trim motor does do the normal stronger noise it does when reachs the limits).

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: DPS Drive does not trim down as low as before.

The drives are probably going down (look at the drives, not the gauge to verify). Most likely the trim gauge sender is failing or loose or ...........

xixp

Cadet

Thanks for the reply,
I thought about a faulty sender unit but I compared both drives and indeed the starboard looks to be above the port drive with both trimmed all the way down. May be it is normal to have a discrepancy in the lowest position of dual engine set up? (Ive never had a dual engine boat before so I'm not familiar with the matter).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check the oil in the trim pumps. Also check the lines going to the pump and the pump itself. They are known for having leak problems.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I discovered today that I had a similar problem except that my single engine duo prop would not go up all the way. I found that the tilt/trim cylinder is leaking and the reservoir was low of oil. What led me to look for a problem other than the indicator not showing as much trim as in the past was that when I pulled to a dock I noticed oil on the water. So... I looked for the source and when I put the boat on its trailer I was able to find it by working the tilt until the oil coming out of the trim cylinder became very apparent. Hope this helps.... or gives you an idea of how you might figure out the problem.