Don't trust a gas guage

rottenray6402

Ensign
This past weekend was nice weather even though a little windy so the 1st Mate and I decided to go on our maiden voyage with our "new to us" Crestliner. We launched on our small local lake and were having a great time running all over and generally enjoying the new boat. All of the sudden it just died as we were zipping along and wouldn't restart. I squeezed the bulb and it was really squishy and it was about then I remembered the salesman I bought it from said the previous owner had water in the fuel and they had to clean the tank, carbs, and put a separator filter on it.The fuel guage indicated 1/2 tank but it hit me that if they cleaned the tank they probably didn't put 1/2 tank of fuel back in it. Luckily we had the 6HP kicker that got us back to the ramp. Sure enough...... out of gas!

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Don't trust a gas guage

Make sure the arm of the sender can hit the bottom of the tank only when in "full down" position. If its too long you'll get a "plenty" reading while the tank is empty and have to use yr kicker :rolleyes: (had then same problem once) Good luck

ejs68

Cadet

Out on Lake Huron with the wife and kids. Been fishing in one spot all day and the tall ships started coming in to Saginaw Bay. Decided it would be cool to see em up close. Drove way out to one, saw another out farther drove to that, saw another a little farther... you get the idea. Decided to head home, boat died. OUT OF GAS. Drifted to shore, too embarassed to call. Got close and jumped out deciding to pull the boat.(With life jacket on). A 19' Starcraft with 3 people in it does not pull easy. Finally a couple of guys on jetskis came an asked if we needed help. Took their tow in. While they were hooking up the line, they asked what waqs wrong. Said I didn't know, motor just wouldn't start. My 6 year old daughter was up front as I went to the back, I heard her tell him we were just out of gas. Came back up front, the guy looked at me, smiled and said, "Been ther before too." Haven't run out again yet. <br /> Did have my cell phone that day, but it was at the same time a few years ago when there was the big power outage here and the east coast. What luck!

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I just replaced my sender with a Livorsi fuel sender the is NO moving parts it measures the air pressure in a small tube with in another small tube. You have to calibrate it {it's easy with 2 small screws for full and empty} and what is good there no needle float or movement except for what fuel you use and it will detect water in the fuel and when it does the fuel gauge pins it's self...... http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/waterproof.htm#SENDERS_

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

It really works well I am impressed with it..

rottenray6402

Ensign

The design eliminates my pet peeve with boat gas guages, that being that the needle is never steady and depending on whether you are on plane or bow high you never know which reading to believe. :mad:

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

It's just like your car gauge, no movement what so ever...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

How hard is it to install? What is the procedure?

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

The install took about 30 mintues. Remove the old sender next you need a accurate measurement of the tank depth form the inside top to the bottom, my tank was 32 inches deep and they instruct 1/2 inch from the bottom of tank, so mark and cut the outer tube with a tubing cutter to 31-1/2 next take the plastic insulator and slide up back in to the outer tube just past the cut you just made. Next with a pair of dykes snip the inner tube flush with the outter tube. Next part is done with the sender in your hand do not put in to the tank yet or you cant calibrate it hook the sender and grounds to the sender turn your key on and look at your gauge ,use a small screwdriver on the empty pot and turn it slowly while watching the gauge let it fall just under empty and turn it so it just goes up sightly STOP now your empty is calibrated. Install the sender note there are 5 holes and they are indexed so use the new rubber gasket to line everything up including the sender use # 10 screws x 1 1/2 long with some Pernatex #2 to mount reattach the wires you cant calibrate the full til the boat is full sitting in the water then use the same proceedure as the empty side....I'll never use a float type again and I've ordered the size that will fit my Sea-Ray also.....Ted

freddyray21

Commander

I won't say I will never, but I have never run out of gas in a boat. Been with people who did so I guess that counts. Once when I was a kid we ran our Mark Twain mercruiser drive out of gas. We got a tow to the marina and to ease the load on the tow boat my stepdad raised the lower unit all the way up. Once we were fuel up he started the motor stern drive up and showered the guy pumping gas. The guy threw a bucket full of water in our boat and the fight was on. The kid pumping as ended up in the water and we motored off.

ricksrster

Commander

Reading this post reminded me of something I have to fix. I have old noninsulated- conectors on my gas gauge. Yes, it shorted in chop and told me I was full when I new I wasn't'. It made me nervous because I had my fuel planned for the trip with about 14/ tank in reserve. I still wanted to know how I was doing but couldn't' tell. I have insulted connectors right on the boat too in case I have to do wiring repairs.
I completely forgot about this little thing until now. Thank you for the post!

ricksrster

Commander

Addison is 12 miles south west of Corning near the PA line. It's on Rte. 417 ( OLD Rte. 17 ).