Dogs and kids, what's a little lick between friends?

bassman284

Commander
Re: Dogs and kids, what's a little lick between friends?

A friend of mine has a blue healer mix that sprints for the cat box every time he hears the litter scratching.... He starts drooling while impatiently waiting for the cat to finish.....

I agree that the mom over reacted but OTOH I don't let that dog lick me...... Not a frantic "oh no I'm gonna die" but rather "ugh get off of me and go eat a few more "kit cat bars"

AKA kitty Paydays.

southkogs

Staff member

EXACTLY. Bubba she may have reacted a little over zealously, but she's not wrong, you are.
Yikes! Not exactly what I meant there. I was just sayin' no harm, but I get why people don't like it. Mom surely overdid it, but that's pretty normal for first timers.

...it was more like a drive by lick that mom happened to see.

All in all it's not a huge deal really, my dog is fine and doesn't appear to have caught anything. ;)
Both of those lines are pretty funny Bubba.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're kidding....right? :facepalm:
I guess anyone who succumbs to a super-bug did not get licked often enough by a dog.

Maybe Mum wasn't prepared to find out whether the bad germs would kill the kid or make him stronger.:eek:

The kid is under 1 year old...with a less than developed immune system. Kid's have enough of a challenge developing immunities to their day to day surroundings....throw in some off-the-wall stuff and all bets are off.
Raw rabbit anyone?
The chances of a negative result are admittedly statistically slim, but this is a call that is up to the new Mum (sounds like the Dad was MIA) and if she is not OK with this, I am not sure where you get the jam to criticise her....IMO. :rolleyes:

And if Bubba caught both barrels, I wonder how that Dad is doing.... since he was "in charge" at that point.
After all, anything that starts seldom ends well....:D

Not kidding, Brother was surgical nurse. No anti Bacterial anything in his house for the safty of his family, Had to do with the germs he brought home from work. People just think all germs are bad, they aren't

TilliamWe

Banned

Not kidding, Brother was surgical nurse. No anti Bacterial anything in his house for the safty of his family, Had to do with the germs he brought home from work. People just think all germs are bad, they aren't

You are kind of right. A lot of people using anti-bacterial soap and stuff are killing germs that we should/need to be exposed to. But there's no need to go seek out extra germs.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Remember sand box time as a kid? (I don't but mom reminds me, GRRR) it seems it was teething time in there, and not in a good way!!

salty87

Commander

Remember sand box time as a kid? (I don't but mom reminds me, GRRR) it seems it was teething time in there, and not in a good way!!

kids are already doing some rather nasty things on their own...what's the big deal?

onlythedogknows.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Oh CRAP.... I just spit soda all over my screen.... friggen thanks!

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

That poor kid will probably never have a dog - that is so sad.

Bigprairie1

Commander

That poor kid will probably never have a dog - that is so sad.

...probably not....yet she'll kiss him with a mouth full of germs every 2 hrs over the next couple of years.....sheesh:),!!
Maybe offer to enroll the little guy in the local 4H club, I hear they are completely germ free these days. :D:D:D

BP :)

buildmark

Seaman Apprentice

germs are everywhere and if that boy is kept in a germ free world he won't have the natural immunities to germs and that is far worse than a dog lick. I have had dogs since I was little and although I don't like being licked in the face, it happens and I am not getting sick because of that and I was allowed to play in dirt, sand, lake and river waters, play with bugs and worms and frogs, etc.... We don't have any more new anti-biotics to combat new bugs so the best way is to have a good all around natural immune system.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I have to chime in here. "Buildmark" nailed it well!, and a LOT of common sense too, with only 29 posts?..welcome, take over for me..! We all can ALWAYS learn something daily, don't care age.

I don't post much anymore here, but still lurk, help if some question not correct an answer. As some the old timers, sure do have the answer too..(Thanks, much help over the years, ya old farts!)

Anyway, doggys and a "kissy lick?" Come'on. I have a pic of me at 3 years old, SLEEPING IN MY SOON OUT CRIB, that my mom took back in 1953! The family dog, Dachshund, was along side me, both us asleep, and almost as long as ME! I have never had any problem, any "gonna kill me germs". Even know, at 62, doggys all my life, and my Golden Retriever..(loves cat cookies too, and stinky farts!), still sleeps with me. Zero problem, as its a warm body, that depends on you, and you are its only world too. AND, TEACHES a young one, to "love the beast, as loves you too, or if ya get mean to it, and abuse it?..(ya gonna get chewed on fast)...this a living breathing animal, not some "Tickle Me Elmo", to get a grin tossing at the wall, to.."stop wiggling!"..(which my dog as a pup, loved to "tear to pieces, looking for that darn noise! " And my 8 year old Golden, now, LOVES KIDS.. AS HER HEIGHT! Goldens are as close, to a human "baby", a man can ever own! Super little..(kinda, as mine is over 100 pounds!) lovable,furry beasts, that talks funny, walk on all fours, and YOU, are its world!
Think here a bit. Why do some people, my ex wife too, are allergic to cats?. Probably as never exposed when young, as THATS WHEN, the young body, gets some whiff, and it don't like it? Simple builds immunity to it. Problem over with.

Like said here somewhere..."the sooner you are born, simple let the kid go play in the dirt, as THATS how the body BUILDS up resistance!) Darn it, I'm 62, and only had the "Flu", twice! AND, what is that Flu shot they give ya? Its a simple small dose the virus, so .."the antibodies in your body fight it, think in .."send in more troops!"

OK, off the box now, but read this. and a full link, end.

41.jpg
Man vs. Beast: Is a Dog’s Mouth Really Cleaner Than a Human’s?
by Matt Soniak - March 4, 2010 - 11:00 PM
inShare​

bailey-charlotte.jpg

Comparing a dog’s mouth with a human’s mouth is sort of like comparing apples and oranges—really filthy apples and really filthy oranges. Both species’ mouths are hot, damp places teeming with roughly equal populations of bacteria. Neither would be described as clean, and any question of comparative cleanliness is irrelevant because so much of that bacteria is species-specific. Most of the germs in your dog’s mouth aren’t going to be a problem during a a big, wet doggie kiss. You’re more likely to run into trouble kissing another human than you are a dog, because bacteria from a person’s mouth will feel equally at home in yours.
bailey-mouth.jpg

Of course, not all bacteria is species-specific. Dogs and humans can and do transmit some germs to each other via the mouth, so if your dog is the type that likes to lick faces (is there any other type?), there are a few precautions you can take. One, try to keep your dogs from picking up any external bacteria by keeping them out of the trashcan (and away from rancid food), and away from wild animals (lest they contract rabies). Two, keep them healthy: up-to-date vaccines, good external and internal parasite control, regular teeth brushing, etc.

And then, pucker up!
While we’re at it, let’s tackle two more things we’re often told about canines: 1) Dogs lick their wounds and they heal very fast, and 2) Dogs don’t get as many cavities as humans. There are simple explanations for both. Licking the wounds gets rid of dead cells and dirt, just like when we wash our wounds. The immune system takes it from there.
As for cavities, they’re largely caused by the bacteria Streptococcus mutans. These bacteria feed on sugar, which is far more common in a human’s diet than a dog’s. Hence S. mutans prefers to live in our mouths, not Fido’s.

Read the full text here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/49027#ixzz1qBUCVwkC
--brought to you by mental_floss!