Dog feeding question

jmmacky

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Dog feeding question

Buy as good quality complete dog food you can afford and feed according to the instructions. A high quality complete dog food will contain all the nutrients that your dog needs. It is a convenience but good foods are scientifically formulated these days and recommended by vets. You want to feed for the weight the dog should be (not necessarily what it is) as most dogs are overweight. From the photo it looks like yours may be a little underweight but difficult to tell from a photo. Measure out the weight of food the dog should have in a 24 hour period and divide this by 2 for 2 meals a day. Any treats for training can come out of this daily ration.

If you start feeding human food for treats etc the dog may no longer want it's own food and you can run into problems. If you feed raw meat etc this will upset the stomach of dogs that aren't used to it and make a mess in the house.

Some one mentioned bloat. This is a life-threatening emergency condition which nearly always affects giant breed dogs. There are many risk factors but one important one is over-eating at one time (such as getting access to the dog food bag!).

Don't leave food down all this time (ad lib feeding). Most dogs (especially if they have some Labrador in them) will eat anything you put in front of them) and it will lead to obesity.

labs are a problem with over eating and you have to watch dry food as they can eat to much food then drink and it expands causing problems. Feeding 3 times a day is better than 2 larger helpings and it looks like your dog is a few pounds under weight from the pics. I have food down all of the time for my dogs and they snack when there hungry but to be honest thats the only time they will eat dry food. Table scraps (over cooking) is what the dogs are realy intrested in so we are careful about small bones etc as they tend to be in a race to see there reflection in the bottom of the bowl. My only advise is if you change the brand do it over a few weeks by mixing in the new brand as that can upset them.
Nice looking dog and as a mutt its better than the pedigree puppy mill dogs i have with the breed in (in-breed) problems.

angus63

Captain

My lab is 115 lb. His bowl is always full of a combo of kibble, moist packaged dog food, and scraps. He eats about what would fit in a one gallon jug per day. Bowl is kept full, and he self regulates and eats usually when we do. 3 yrs old and not at all overweight. My sister cooks every night for her dog and has to sit down with the dog and encourage him to eat. I guess dogs are all different, like people...except more loyal.

salty87

Commander

this is a good guide

109618.image0.jpg

WIMUSKY

Staff member

My lab would eat until it died, and it almost did. She spent the nite in the doggy hospital on IVs. She didn't throw it up until the next day. We saw the x-rays and she was all stomach. It was at least 5 times what it should have been........ Labs are loyal, just not the brightest bulb on the tree.......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The labs have more issues when they get older. Seems like 5 years old or so is when you have to start watching their weight.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We lost our akita last november at the age of 12. She was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 10. I wasn't careful with watching what she ate and was uneducated about how easy it is for a dog to develop the disease . Diabetes is especially bad for dogs because of the often difficult time you can have checking their sugar levels .Good luck .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yup, their regular chow is priced for the low end market. On the flip side their Purina One (Lamb and Rice) is one of the best out there in my opinion. (Well, when combined with fresh rabbit a couple times a week.)
Still has corn as their third ingredient and why it gets only 2 stars. Not something I would feed my dogs.
Purina One SmartBlend Dog Food | Review and Rating

Purina is a low cost dog food. So many other better options. The Costco Kirkland Lamb and Rice is a way better option and probably similarly priced.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Labs have a problem with cushings (not sure spelled right) will make them eat like a chow hound, and thursty as they come. Also where they pee grass dies. We lost our dog to this was hard on us to have her put down ( I had to hold her as the vets aid couldn't ) best dog I ever owned. But she was in pain and her liver enlarged.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

Labs have a problem with cushings (not sure spelled right) will make them eat like a chow hound, and thursty as they come. Also where they pee grass dies. We lost our dog to this was hard on us to have her put down ( I had to hold her as the vets aid couldn't ) best dog I ever owned. But she was in pain and her liver enlarged.

that would be very hard to do.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I don't see a break down for their Lamb and Rice formulationhttp://www.purinaone.com/products/dog-food/smartblend-lamb-and-rice-formula#ingredients-and-nutrition
Lamb and Rice - Dry Dog Food - Purina ONE? SMARTBLEND?

3rd ingredient corn gluten, 4th ingredient corn...depending on who you talk to you may not want it in their diet. Basically, its a good way to make their product cheaper...not better. It also has wheat which is not good for dogs.

Its probably a good thing your dogs get rabbits.

One of the reasons I use Innova is there is not one bit of corn in it.

each breed has its own "look", but if fido were mine, id be taking a stool sample into the vet to check for parasites. jmo

easier to take the dog and let the vet get there own sample. My dogs love the vets

looking at the pictures of what a skinny dog and a fat dog should look like ive just worked out all my dogs are fluffy and one is proberly in the extra fluffy range. maybe its time for a diet :lol:

bigdee

Commander

I have a friend who had a German Shepard who fed his dog like you do and didn't have a huge yard either. His dog never had a weight issue either so possibly that breed doesn't have issues with that method of feeding.

+++1 German Shepard are smarter than their owners! My Shepard and myself both self feed....guess who is fat!

angus63

Captain

+++1 German Shepard are smarter than their owners! My Shepard and myself both self feed....guess who is fat!
Your dog drives to McDonalds too? I gonna start charging mine for gas.