Does this look like it needs replacing?

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's clearly not shiny and new, but I had my Bravo3 rebuilt 2 years ago (end of 2014) and now that I'm having my marina crack the drive off to service it, they're saying the u joint assembly needs replacing. How do I tell if this is actually failing?

They're also quoting me a new gimbal bearing and bellows, which were also replaced at the end of 2014. Thoughts?

Attachments

• uJoint-Bad.jpg
    uJoint-Bad.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
interesting.. never seen one rusted like that.... usually all greased up..... that said... grease it, then again im in fresh water only.... that in salt?

tpenfield

Staff member
I would think that if a shop sees a u-joint looking like that, they will replace it rather than subject it to any sort of testing . . .

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If there are grease fittings, grease it. If the grease comes out with rusty flakes in it, no good. Any play or stiffness in the joints? They may be on the conservative side because if this joint fails at speed it will cause very expensive damage, it could even tear up the transom mount and let water in the boat. Looks like you had a leaky bellows, better fix that right quick!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Agreed, that u-joint assembly should not be rusty. U-joints typically make some noise or vibrate when bad. However, since your's is rusty, it should be replaced now, as it will fail soon, if it hasn't failed already. The usual source of leakage is the driveshaft boot. The gymbal bearing may also have gotten some water. If in doubt, replace it as well.