Does anybody know what kind of boat this is???

lbcboating

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking to buy a used boat and fix it up to get the motor running again.

On the title, it say's the boat is a "1969 Walst Boat". It's a 17' .. I cannot find any information about this make / model anywhere online.. So i'm really confused.

The motor is a Mercruiser MCM 120MR 4cyl which i'm familiar with.

But the name "Walst" , i'm in the dark.

Spelling error? or is this a rare boat?

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Does anybody know what kind of boat this is???

post a pic of boat

lbcboating

Seaman Apprentice

post a pic of boat

Here are the photos, the person selling it said the title and registration both say "1969 Walst Boat" ... He inherited it from his grandfather so maybe this is an older/rare boat or maybe the name on the title is misspelled?

01010_cUsSRsFtcOF_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_4gfBABUThTb_600x450.jpg

01515_jGq33h3iTfJ_600x450.jpg

00505_5wvMnCfvSca_600x450.jpg

mfsb

Seaman

it is entirely possible the title is misspelled. I have recently had to correct this with my used RV I purchased. The DMV personnel are not concerned with accuracy, only processing paperwork and collecting your dough! I am not a boat historian but for a vintage boat I would imagine you should really be deciding right away the purpose for making the investment. Is it for your own enjoyment? is it for having a rare piece of history that you can enjoy on the water and show at boat shows? or is it something you wish to restore that could possibly have significant value afterwards? I never would have thought the last was a valid question until visiting the Alexandria Bay, NY boat museum and finding that there is a very specific section of boating that is devoted to antique boating, wood and some plastics, that can become quite valuable.

From the photos it looks like it may be something worth a second look and digging into, however most of my looking, albeit very amateur! has been that plastic doesn't have historic value in runabouts, you may find something that could be quite unique! I say, if you like it and it suits your needs and the price is right, go for it! No one will place more value in your boat purchase than you do! I have seen very few people that are making money on vintage boats that aren't in a commercial restoration facility, and from your posting it doesn't seem like that is your goal. The amount of enjoyment a person can have with shining something up and running something you have tinkered with can never be measured in dollar bills!

I say buy it if it is the right price, and have fun! A small boat like that is easy to enjoy and can make anyone smile!

matt167

Captain

Plenty of fiberglass boat manufactures in the 50's-60's went defunct after not making any money building them.. Plenty were low production boats, but by 1969, most of those companies had already dissolved.. That said, it appears that Walst was a small boat trailer manufacture.. '69 should have a HIN on the rear transom tho in that year, it would not be in a standardized code. Might get lucky and have a manufacture name on it.

lbcboating

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Looks like a nice clean well kept boat. Got any history on it from the owner?