Do you stop for School Bus or get out of way of Rescue?

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was stopped on a narrow side street for a School Bus letting a couple kids off. Then from behind me comes a Rescue with lights and sirens going. I drive a pickup so I just drove it up on the curb and the Rescue was able to pass. This is just a strange occurance and probably doesn't happen much but I figure the right thing to do is move and let the rescue pass. Even if you were issued a ticket you would have a solid argument. But if you couldn't climb the curb should you pass the Bus?

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Do you stop for School Bus or get out of way of Rescue?

as i work in law enforcement never pass the bus if you can't climb the curb let thr rescue truck find its way by. it is ilegal to pass a bus while it is off loading and the emergency truck is already going to a situation that has already happened and by passing the bus you could hit a kid and then a real good lawyer and lots of money is needed

crab bait

Captain

plus the worst..... 15 points & automatic suspention of license...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I aggree. When in a spot like that, it is best just to sit still if you can not get out of the way safely and let the emergency vehicle go by on it's own. It would be bad if you went to pass the bus and a little one bounced out in front of you.

D

DJ

Yes, I stop and move out of the way.<br /><br />However, I find many people are just too important to be bothered with such inconveniences.<br /><br />I was on a plane the other day and while we were taxiing, a college kid (nothing wrong with college) decides he's going to get up go to the bathroom. Needless to say, once the flight attendants warned him, the passengers took over. He learned a lesson he should have learned at home.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Along the same lines, there was a school bus on the other side of a divided two lane hwy. It was stopped. There was a 50 foot grass divide btween my lane and the lane going the othe way where the bus was stopped. Do I have to stop?

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I always stop for school bus and pull over for emergency vehicles. I agree, if behind a bus and you can't pull over, DON'T pass school bus but wait. If bus moves up some, I would then pull over until emergency vehicle went by.<br /><br />Scoop, I don't believe you have to stop if bus is on other side of a divided road. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.<br /><br />BL...

gonfishn

Commander

During my years(past)as a Paramedic it always amazed me how people react when the flashing Bubble appears in the rear view. Alot go into a full panic or just freeze. A few suggestions as always.<br /><br />1. Always when possible pull to the right in a calm manner(saves on tires when going over a Curb)<br />2. If you can't then as Bubbakat has said stay put(we will find a way around you).<br /><br />3. When on the freeway don't slam your brakes on and stop when in the left lane(the skid marks you see on the grass median is usually from us)<br /><br />4. It may look like we go at warp speed in<br />reality (by Law) we must adhere to Laws governing speed).<br /><br />5. Never try and out run us. Its bad enough that the medic in the back is working on a code and the driver is trying to relay medical Info to the <br />ER and then also try to figure what the H... your going to do next.<br /><br />6. When following your loved one to the hospital don't play tag Bumper with us. It could get us both killed.<br /><br />Anyone in the Medic Field or Law Inforcement can relate to this and probably could add some more advise.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Forgot to add this in reply...How many will pull over when meeting a funeral procession? At my father-in-law's funeral several years ago, my sister-in-law's boyfriend (at the time) who is from New York was amazed that everyone pulled over and stopped until the procession had passed. Around here, the police stop traffic at intersections for funeral procession to pass. He was also amazed at the food neighbors, friends and church members brought.<br /><br />BL...

RICKRICK1

Ensign

I stop and pull over for all emergency vehicles, and never pass a bus especially a school bus. We got protect them younguns. I live on a block that has a deaf child living about 8 houses down from me. Our speed limit is 30MPH and we (neighbors) have asked our little city concil to not only post the fact that a deaf child (9 years)lives here but have requested they change the speed limit to 20MPH and post traffic fines double for this area.<br /><br />As to the food at southern funerals, have seen this all my life, never understood it until I read a magazine article on it. It is based on the idea that they used to place the dead in the home and thats where the funeral was. It was considered bad etiquitte (sp) to cook in the house as it warmed up the house and also the odors associated with the dead person. Thus neighbors would cook and bring food over to the house and we now have fine Southern Tradition.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

RICKRICK1, here in Kentucky as far as my family goes, we still have the funerals at home and people still cook and bring it in.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Spinner-bait nut,<br /><br />See there still are fine Southern folks who respect the old ways. So many people dont.

BillBill

Cadet

Scoop, in most Texas and Louisiana you do not have to stop when a school bus is unloading on a divided highway. I would assume that this is the same as most laws concerning School Buses fall under federal motor carrier laws or at least derived from them.

BillBill

Cadet

Having been a State Trooper, I have seen various reactions to overhead lights and sirens. I once worked a wreck where a volunteer fireman thought that because he had his lights and siren on, he could cross traffic without stopping at the stop sign and lookinh both ways. After a totalled fire truck, 1 ton pick-up, and a long time explaining it to him he learned that emergency vehicles may sometimes disregard traffic laws but only when it is safe to do so and it does not absolve them from responsibilities that all drivers have. That is the hardest thing to teach a rookie officer, firefighter, or ambulance driver.

bubbakat

Captain

rite on with the right of way to emergency vech you can only proceed when it is only safe to do so found this out the hard way still trying to grow some of my b.... back after the sheriff got through with me as for as the divided highway on school buses scoop you don't have to stop if you are on the opposit side just slow down an pratice murphey's law kids are apt to do any thing and i don't know about the other states but our bus drivers don't receive a whole lot of training and they to make big mistakes :eek:

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as a funreral processon is concerned, I see lots of people cutting into the line cutting off cars. Hardly anyone pulls over to let a funeral processioon go by. And when they have to go on a highway it is total chaos. I always give them the right of way. But I live in Rhode Island the state of the most ignorant drivers in the coyntry!

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just was in a funeral procession at the end of September. It went real well. No police were needed, just everyone with their lights on. We were about 40 cars. Everyone let us through, no one butted in until close to the end.<br />I was in one when my niece was killed by a drunk driver. She was a very special person. There were over 2,000 people that came to the visitation. The funeral home was open for almost 24 hours straight. The next day, Kane county Illinois deputies closed off all the roads for the procession. There were about 2 miles worth of cars. The funeral home said the only funeral that came close was when a senator died.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

In Texas, I think animals (horses) and animal drawn vehicles (wagons,buggies etc.) have the right-of-way over emergency vehicles.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Hooty

Rear Admiral

And yes I stop for school buses and pull to the right for funerals and ememgency vehicles "when practical".<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I always pull over for emergency vehicles, especially ambulances, because they may be coming for me one day and I would like everyone else to do the same.