Do you play?

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been playing soccer for as long as I can remember and I learned from an early age how to play dirty. Does anyone else here play softball, baseball, football, lacrosse, rugby, etc. and have similar experiences? I play pick-up games now and then and it's a hard habit to get rid of! :rolleyes: :D

D

DJ

Re: Do you play?

Softball.<br /><br />NOT dirty. I win fair and square and beat the cheats.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Co-ed softball. Dirty players don't work out. First time somebody hurts a woman both dugouts empty . . .

ZmOz

Captain

I don't do anything that could be considered exercise.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

SOCCER? Isn't that what we used to call kick-ball in grammar school?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Played basketball, soccer, and baseball back in school. Now I limit myself to horseshoes and bowling. Being older now, it is illegal to show my ugly legs! :D

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

soccer, baseball, wrestling...<br /><br />Lacrosse I was all state in highschool<br /><br />Had a scholarship to play in college...<br /><br />It is not a life time sport..<br /><br />Now it is running, biking, hiking etc.<br /><br />oh and Fishing...<br /><br />tomatolord

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Enjoyed playing most games, but having the agility of a water buffalo, and the speed of a sloth, it never really allowed me to play in any organized sports.<br /><br />Ken

aspeck

Staff member

Enjoyed football and Lacrosse in high school and college, respectively. My knees, ankles, and shoulder can't handle much more punishment any more!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Softball retired, tore achillies tendon in 02. Lost too much time from work to risk again.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Played ALOT of softball, basketball, some soccer when younger. <br /><br />w.r.t. playing dirty, I always played hard but cleanly. Now if an opponent played dirty, I could easily find it in myself to change my philosophy to match. <br /><br />A couple things you may want to keep in mind. When playing in an organized league, the nature of the competition (season standings, playoffs, etc.) can sometimes boost the desire to win and blur peoples objetivity when it comes to playig hard (competitive) versus playing dirty (cheating). Hopefully in a pickup game one would be able to be more objective, as most are probably there because they enjoy PLAYING (which may be at a VERY competitive level), not out of a need to always win. <br /><br />Secondly, organized play offers you at least a degree of protection from retaliation should you play dirty. Do it enough in a pickup game, and someone is going to eventually take you out in retaliation, perhaps at a time when you can't anticipate it or protect yourself. You might want to keep in mind that dirty play in a pickup game is going to significantly increase the chances that you may get seriously injured. Is a blown out knee or broken ankle worth the 'advantages' you gained by playig dirty in the past?<br /><br />Suggest you take an honest look at yourself and determine why you play. Is it more because you enjoy the sport, or is it more because it offers you an opportunity to 'win'?

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. I DON'T play dirty any more, that's just how I learned to play when I was a kid. To us, it was the normal way to play. You know, kids bounce when you're in elementary school! I just find it odd that when I'm in a certain type of situation, my first instinct is to take somebody out and then I have to re-adjust my strategy at a split second and do what's right and be sportsmanlike. Maybe I'm an anomoly, who knows? :rolleyes:

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Eric,<br /><br />I think you will have people like this in every sport. I used to run cross-country and track and now I coach both at the high school level. It happens today and runners have to be aware. Spikes leave a nasty gouge or slice in the back of a leg or ankle. Kids intentionally run others into trees, throw elbows when they think others are not around to see, trip from behind. Its endless. These are sports that I think many would consider "clean." Today's mentality is the, I will do whatever it takes to win, and I think the parents of the dirty athletes would want it this way and probably encourage it.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

CJY, well said. It is WAY too common nowadays to win at all costs. True sportsmanship went out of the window a long time ago. That's the main reason that I only pay attention to high school and college sports. Our young athletes understand real competition, not the money grubbing whiners that one occasionally sees in the pros. There are true heroes in the pros (most of them aren't household names) but there ain't enough of them for me to give too much respect to the pros. Mandatory drug tests? Please.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No doubt Erik on mandatory testing. Barry Bonds, what a joke and blackeye to baseball. Not to mention Sosa and McGwire. These are guys MLB pushed very hard to get into our living rooms.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I don't do anything that could be considered exercise.
:D :D ROFLMAO :D :D <br /><br />My sentiments exactly.<br /><br />GT3 on the PS2 is as athletic as I get. :cool: