Do you leave the electrical trolling motor on the boat or do you store it inside?

shingo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm wondering if I should store the trolling motor inside when I'm not using the boat, does it make a difference?

Thank you

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Do you leave the electrical trolling motor on the boat or do you store it inside?

We typically pull it off the pontoon and keep it inside, mainly because it doesn't get used that frequently and the cover doesn't shut right with it on the boat.

They are pretty easy to remove, so if you keep your boat in an area where someone taking it is a concern then you should consider that.

shingo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Do you leave the electrical trolling motor on the boat or do you store it inside?

We typically pull it off the pontoon and keep it inside, mainly because it doesn't get used that frequently and the cover doesn't shut right with it on the boat.

They are pretty easy to remove, so if you keep your boat in an area where someone taking it is a concern then you should consider that.

I store the boat at home, the trolling motor will be expose to a bit of sun (about an hour a day) and a bit of rain.

I'm just wondering if I should just leave it there or not.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

it depends on you, I kept mine on the boat but it was under the dock cover for like 15 years.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

easy question, because the answer is the same for all boating questions:

IT DEPENDS!

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

For years I kept my 14' tinnie outside and the trolling motor was removed and stored inside each time I used it. A few years ago I bought a freestanding metal carport with metal sides but no end panels for boat storage. I added a lock to the trolling motor mount to make it difficult to steal and now the motor stays on all the time. The sun never hits either the motor or the wiring but a driving rain will occasionally get it a little wet. Heavy snows are not a significant factor here.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Do your boat a favor and keep it covered, it'll last much longer and you won't have to worry aboot rot.

barrynfla

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a small MK trolling motor and remove it when the boat is off the water. Only reason is that I don't want to subject the motor to bouncing around while trailering. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not but the motor is light and I have peace of mind.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Question 1: How much money did you pay for the motor?
Question 2: Do you mind that much money "walking off" when you're not looking?

Trolling motors can be very easy to remove. If it's easy for you, it's easy for somebody else.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Question 1: How much money did you pay for the motor?
Question 2: Do you mind that much money "walking off" when you're not looking?

Trolling motors can be very easy to remove. If it's easy for you, it's easy for somebody else.

Agreed! I leave mine on because it is extremely difficult to get off. It's set up so that even the lock is difficult to access. I suppose that someone could steal the prop off of it but I think I could stand that loss. Before I got the lock my motor was never left on the boat between trips. BTW, mine is bow mounted. If it were transom mounted I probably would remove it each time.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Mine is indoors.....with the boat.

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know about ALL trolling motors but as far as my(mid 90s') Motor Guide...The ONLY part that is waterproof is the motor(the part that gets dunked) The top or "head"usually has gears and possibly electrical connections that can withstand some splash, but may not handle rain.

haulnazz15

Captain

We left ours on all the time, but the boat was on a lift in a covered dock. The unit was under a heavy mooring cover as well, so no real exposure to sun/rain unless it was a hard-blowing rain. I suppose someone could have stolen it while on the lift, but I'm not about to be dragging 50+lbs of motor up and down the walkway to the shed every time we go out.

The top or "head"usually has gears and possibly electrical connections that can withstand some splash, but may not handle rain.
Really? What a piece of junk! Did they expect that you would just stop fishing when it rained?? That's the best time to be fishing!!!

My Minnkota stays on all season long. It's got a padlock so it won't walk easily when parked or on trailer. It does sit inside my garage for most of the year. However, when at the lake it sees all kinds of rain, sleet, snow, and waves. I've never had an electrical issue besides the marginal foot pedal. BTW - on Minnkota the best way to clean the foot pedals is to hold it by the cord and dunk it into the lake a few times. It cleans out all of the sand/dirt/etc and keeps it working. The Minnkota repair guys recommended that I do that every so often.

So unless you've got some kind of fragile trolling motor, leave it on and don't worry about it. The sun will not ruin anything, except to maybe fade the paint over time. But in that case, the TM will match the boat!

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

Really? What a piece of junk! Did they expect that you would just stop fishing when it rained?? That's the best time to be fishing!!!

My Minnkota stays on all season long. It's got a padlock so it won't walk easily when parked or on trailer. It does sit inside my garage for most of the year. However, when at the lake it sees all kinds of rain, sleet, snow, and waves. I've never had an electrical issue besides the marginal foot pedal. BTW - on Minnkota the best way to clean the foot pedals is to hold it by the cord and dunk it into the lake a few times. It cleans out all of the sand/dirt/etc and keeps it working. The Minnkota repair guys recommended that I do that every so often.

So unless you've got some kind of fragile trolling motor, leave it on and don't worry about it. The sun will not ruin anything, except to maybe fade the paint over time. But in that case, the TM will match the boat!
WOW!!! You are both smart and awesome!!! Way to read into things and over analyze things so you can sound like a super cool smart guy. BTW if the sun is "fading" the plastic of the trolling motor it is also leaching out what's called plasticizers. Thats what makes it brittle and weak.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Burp! Deleted

Last edited:

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know about ALL trolling motors but as far as my(mid 90s') Motor Guide...The ONLY part that is waterproof is the motor(the part that gets dunked) The top or "head"usually has gears and possibly electrical connections that can withstand some splash, but may not handle rain.

On trips to Lake Novillo in Mexico I've left my boat in the water with no protection for the trolling motor from the elements for as long as ten days in an area where an evening thunder storm is an almost certain daily occurrence, I'm talking about heavy, wind driven rain. These storms are short but fierce and if there is any place water can get in, it will. Never had any problem with the upper unit at all. Finally replaced the original, twenty year old, trolling motor with a new one about ten years ago when I failed to slow down enough when approaching a rock bluff with the trolling motor up and cracked the motor housing. Note: Trolling motors do not work well as fenders - or brakes.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a MinnKota that I left hanging on a backyard fence--for the way I figure it now, TEN YEARS without using or touching it.

Everything VISUALLY seems fine on it, except for the cable alligator clips, which long ago rotted away. So in the next few days, I'm going to replace those clips and test with my car battery--I don't have any other 12V batteries right now.

I live in South Florida where FREEZING sure ain't a problem. You're in Montreal, so your mileage may vary.