Do ya'll think this is ok to do?

skargo

Banned
Re: Do ya'll think this is ok to do?

actually I'll take the other side of the coin. I think she is doing a great thing. The Goodwill's mission is to help those less fortunate. They do this in two ways. With the money made from selling products and through teaching people how to run a retail business and make sales.
By her making numerous purchases they are certainly getting some cash to use and the people are learning about restocknig inventory etc.

I agree. I see no problem with it. Goodwill sells the stuff, they don't give it away.

My wife and I own a consignment shop. When we run low on certain sizes I will go to GW, buy the stuff, and sell it on our racks, and most times we make a profit.

OOOOOOH, we are immoral people. :D WHATEVER, we donate TONS of stuff, all year long.

Would you be mad at me knowing I buy bikes for $4-5 dollars at yard sales and resell them for $20-30? Should I have left the bike there for someone more deserving of the bike?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Please play nice gentlemen . . . just a little reminder so this doesn't get out of hand :)

waterinthefuel

Commander

For the record she is not doing anything special with the money. I guess you could say she helps others because she buys stuff with the money, but she does not pay taxes on it as nobody I know pay taxes on eBay income. She isn't doing it to benefit anyone but her pocketbook. If anyone else has any questions please ask. It's as simple as I know how to say, she pockets the money for her own personal gain.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

My goodwill is like TD's, very expensive.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am working down the street from a GW anybody want to go tomorrow :D

rainman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok here is a twist. Goodwill puts people to work so why not have there people sell the stuff on ebay? :D This question might be worth e-mailing to Goodwill.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I think ezmobee brings up a great point. It seems people have quite a varying definition of "moral". Some believe anything not against a law is moral, some see capitalism as moral, etc.

I guess all of this would be wasted if nobody knew where I am coming from.

I consider morality as working towards the best possible outcome for all involved (the ideal situation). Which means any unnecessary departure from that best possible outcome is immoral and wrong. To put it frankly, if you have the option to make something better and do otherwise, you are being immoral and are wrong. No ifs, ands or buts around it.

Since morality is a construct of sorts, I'm interest to hear how other people on here define morality and how it falls in line with the opinions you posted.

Would you be mad at me knowing I buy bikes for $4-5 dollars at yard sales and resell them for $20-30?

I think yard sales are entirely different, since people have yard sales to make more money than by donating it. They aren't meant as charity, but as income. Put simply, yard sales are massive CL ads. There is no charity intended. Essentially, a yard sale is a temporary consignment shop, with a highly volatile customer base. The price difference comes into play (between your shop and a yard sale) because they have less chance of selling something, have a time crunch and are paying a bit (in the form of a price cut) for the extra space they will gain from the sale. You both benefit when you buy from a yard sale, but neither is charity.

skargo

Banned

I think you are missing the point and missing GW's business model.

I am 100% confident in my and my wife's morals, even when we do buy from GW and sell for more ;)

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I consider morality as working towards the best possible outcome for all involved (the ideal situation)....

...I think yard sales are entirely different, since people have yard sales to make more money than by donating it. They aren't meant as charity, but as income. Put simply, yard sales are massive CL ads. There is no charity intended. Essentially, a yard sale is a temporary consignment shop, with a highly volatile customer base. The price difference comes into play (between your shop and a yard sale) because they have less chance of selling something, have a time crunch and are paying a bit (in the form of a price cut) for the extra space they will gain from the sale. You both benefit when you buy from a yard sale, but neither is charity.

lowkee, I like your definition of morality: "I consider morality as working towards the best possible outcome for all involved (the ideal situation)...."

But I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning from there, that under your definition of morality, it's ok to buy and resell from a yard sale but not a goodwill shop.

Everything sold at a goodwill store is money that goes to charity, whether the item is resold or not.

Everything sold at a yard sale is money that most likely goes into the seller's pocket.

So it seems to me that the only way buying at goodwill with the intention to resell at a profit could be considered immoral by your definition, is if the reseller is depriving a needy family of that clothing, furniture or whatever. I can see this argument being made.

But then it seems it would be LESS moral to buy from a yard sale with the intention to resell, because a needy family could just as well be shopping that same yard sale. And the money from the sale to the reseller is NOT going to charity.

And by the same token, your example of buying a wardrobe from goodwill and saving $800-1000 is NOT a moral thing to do, because, assuming you live above the poverty line, you deprived a more needy person of that clothing when you could have paid more for new.

It seems to me that buying from goodwill and reselling at a profit is actually the most moral situation, under your definition of the best outcome for all involved.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We got our boat from good will!!!!! Then we poured hundreds into it but its not worth that much, so good will should pay us the difference.

Sometimes I go to charity drives and set up my own tent and collect for myself and boat..........ok I don't really do that.

But ummmmmm, I think the lady needs an actual hobby. Its kind of messed up to do but at the same time, someone needs to buy the junk. MAYBE goodwill should have an ebay store!!!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I consider morality as working towards the best possible outcome for all involved (the ideal situation). Which means any unnecessary departure from that best possible outcome is immoral and wrong. To put it frankly, if you have the option to make something better and do otherwise, you are being immoral and are wrong. No ifs, ands or buts around it.
I can't help but be curious about what you do for a living? I like simple definitions of things, but I fail to see how anybody could ever live up to this standard . . .

I think yard sales are entirely different, since people have yard sales to make more money than by donating it. They aren't meant as charity, but as income.
But by your definition, aren't the yard sales you describe immoral? I am not trying to pick a fight, but I still don't see how anything (not just anyone) could be considered moral? It reminds me of Phoebe's pursuit of an unselfish deed . . . impossible. I personally don't believe in altruism. Everything we do is for some sort of personal gain, so maybe that would explain my confusion . . . :)

skargo

Banned

In our consignment shop, which is different from a thrift store, in addition to people who consign with us, we have people who donate stuff to us, because they don't want to deal with it. We ask if they are sure they don't want to make some money. We go through the stuff, and resell the stuff that meets our stores standards. We donate the rest.
Is it immoral for us to sell ANY of the donated items? Maybe we should have donated it all to a needy family????
Speaking of, we give a lot, my wife too much sometimes, because we see people who are not fortunate as us all the time.
Hell, just 2 hours ago we donated 5 kitchen trash bags of clothing to the Planet Aid box. We do that all the time.

My reason for sating all this, because by your(lowkee's) definition,we should have given everything away, heck, by his definition we should give away every penny we have after our basic needs are met. Guess everyone here should sell/donate their boats too? Not trying to be a smart alec, just very confused by this definition of morality. :confused:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

JB hit it and is 100% correct.

My Mother worked on the corporate side for many years for the ARC, which also had a few thrift stores in Southern California.

Way past the knick knacks on the shelves, are disadvanted people earning not only a small income, but a feeling of self worth and pride having a job to do and a reason to get up everyday.

If the asking price is paid for item "A", then the store has it's profits to continue another day and keep their staff employed.

Now how about this spin? What if the people BUYING these knick knacks off ebay, are wheelchair bound or some other shut in type of scenario?
They can not go purchase these items as wanted, and this brilliant person is fullfilling a need, business 101.

Besides, I have never had to show a W2 or checkstub before being allowed to walk into a thrift store, just because I may earn too much money to shop there....;)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Bargin hunting tips? Bring erasers to check for silver content? Upscale boutiques and on-line auctions? Ya, sure, catering to the needy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.goodwill.org/get-involved/shop/

Bargain-Hunting Tips
Stop in frequently. Most stores have a constant turnover of merchandise on a daily basis.
Some shoppers like to bring in a seamstresses? tape measure because sizes are not consistent between brands and sizes have changed through the years. This will ensure the items you purchase fit.
Some shoppers also like to bring an eraser to test silver items.
Find out store policies on markdowns, holds and the methods of payment your Goodwill accepts. If policies aren?t posted, ask the sales staff about them.
At Goodwill Outlet stores, merchandise is generally rotated multiple times per day with an even more robust rotation. Merchandise is often times displayed in lots and in bulk. These lots rotate in a first-in first-out rotation and items are generally purchased by the pound. Some Goodwills offer discounts on the price per pound when you purchase larger volumes. If you?re looking for treasures, Outlets provide a great chance to find a treasure for cheap if you?re willing to dig a little.

Some Goodwill stores also operate upscale boutiques and specialty stores that feature name-brand designer fashions, jewelry, wedding gowns, antiques and other amazing finds.

You can also shop from the comfort of your own home on Goodwill?s online auction site, shopgoodwill.com. On any given day, shopgoodwill.com features an average of 11,000 items listed. Shopping categories include antiques, art, books, records, cameras, electronic equipment, clothing, collectibles, home decor, jewelry and gemstones, musical instruments, pottery, seasonal and holiday items, sports, toys and dolls.

Get the most value for your dollar by checking out our bargain-hunting tips.

skargo

Banned

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

People are constantly surprised that we, being a consignment shop have name brand stuff, some even new, and designer stuff. We even have the counties largest consignment formal wear collection. I bet someone is surprised at least once a day.
Business is booming too, bad economy be damned!

cheburashka

Interesting topic.

I got started shopping at Goodwill because I was poor. That was back in the days before Ebay. I kept shopping there even when I could afford to shop elsewhere because I'm "thrifty." One day I found myself looking at a set of BMW K100 rear panniers, marked at $20.00 apiece. I don't have a K100. Neither does anyone else who shops at that Goodwill. I took a risk and bought them, listed them on Ebay, and sold them for $400. Was that immoral? For all I know, someone might have bought them to use as planter boxes, while the guy who bought them from me had been hit by a drunk driver and was desperate for finding this part, which would have cost three times as much from the dealer.

Now, I buy musical instruments on Ebay and Shopgoodwill. In most cases I recondition them and make a decent profit, provided that I don't "pay myself" much for the work I do. Sometimes I get an instrument that I can just flip, like the trombone I got from Shopgoodwill for $300 and sold for $1500. Again, is that immoral? Well, if it had turned out to be a piece of junk (which they often do) then would that have been immoral on Goodwill's part? I feel fine about that one.

And yes, I can be a bit cutthroat. I make a lot of my best purchases on Ebay from people who have no idea what they've got and who don't list it well. If they knew what their items were worth, they could get many times what I pay them. Sometime I'll let a seller know that they've got something special and that they should relist it with a better description. Then there are the folks who rip me off. In the end, it just about evens out.

Ebay sellers are like any gamblers. They tell you about their winnings and ignore their losses. They'll tell you about the original Eames chair they got for $25, but not about the "Tiffanee" lamp that cost them $300 and turned out to be made in Taiwan. For most, it's a time burglar. Even if you do it well, you're out the time you spent shopping, listing, mailing etc. You do it because it's "fun."

My opinion is that this lady likes shopping and she's found a justification for it by claiming that she's making money. I'd take what she says with a grain of salt.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't think I have ever agreed more with a Cheburashka post :cool:

Great eBayer A++++ Good1, would read from again!

waterinthefuel

Commander

Che I had to comment on what you said. You justified taking advantage of someone and making a 1000% profit by saying "well, it would have cost him more if he'd have bought it himself." Thats pretty sad, sir. Why didn't you put them on eBay for a buy it now price of just a tad more than what you paid? Taking advantage of people isn't what I call moral. Sorry, but these types of scenarios are why I won't donate to goodwill. If I paid for them first why give them away so you can make a fat profit? No way, I'll sell them myself or throw them away. I don't feed the bottom feeders.

cheburashka

Che I had to comment on what you said. You justified taking advantage of someone and making a 1000% profit by saying "well, it would have cost him more if he'd have bought it himself." Thats pretty sad, sir. Why didn't you put them on eBay for a buy it now price of just a tad more than what you paid? Taking advantage of people isn't what I call moral. Sorry, but these types of scenarios are why I won't donate to goodwill. If I paid for them first why give them away so you can make a fat profit? No way, I'll sell them myself or throw them away. I don't feed the bottom feeders.

Everyone works according to their own set of morals. Me? I go by the golden rule. In the case of the panniers, I ended the auction early and sold them for what he offered me because A) I believed his story and B) I liked the price. Did he get hit by a drunk driver? I don't know. Maybe he was just playing me. Maybe he sold them to the guy next door for $600. Maybe he's like the jerk who bought my '72 R75/5 telling me he had wanted one all his life, then resold it the next week for $2000 more on Ebay. I don't know. All I know is that if I had been in his shoes and had made an offer and had that offer accepted, I would have been extremely happy with the deal.

If I had offered them up for $50, you can guess what would have happened, right? Another "bottom feeder" like me would have snatched them up and let the auction go full term and the guy I sold them to would either not have his panniers, or he'd have them for $100 more. That would be me feeding the bottom feeders.

Sometimes you get paid for expertise. Hell, all I do with the trombones I sell is rub the slide over my knee, solder a couple of joints, do some buffing and lacquering, etc. Anyone could do it, but they don't know how. Most people on this forum get paid for knowing something other people don't, or for knowing how to do something that other people can't. I knew those were K100 panniers. No one else did. No homeless man needed a set of K100 panniers. Goodwill got $40 plus tax out of me for them, and they got the money for the three dress shirts and two pair of pants that I bought the same day. They were happy and profitable, I was happy and profitable, the guy who bought the panniers was happy and out significantly less than he would have been otherwise. Win, win, win. So tell me, who was taken advantage of?

I don't think I have ever agreed more with a Cheburashka post :cool:

Great eBayer A++++ Good1, would read from again!

LOL

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

One person's trash could be another person's treasure.

Sometimes, all that's needed is a middle person to shine it up,
and make it available as a treasure.

The same concept of business applies to boat and car fix-it-uppers,
who buy wherever they can, and for bargain basement prices if possible.
Shine it up, and see if it becomes a treasure for somebody. Or, at least
a mild profit.

Strange thing is, I have donated, and then stopped in the store and bought
a couple items thinking I hit the jackpot. Later, I have donated them back.
Guess I don't have it for the jackpot game.

:rolleyes: