Do I use alodine before the gluvit?

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will the etched surface make the gluvit stick better?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Do I use alodine before the gluvit?

will not do anything so you can save the alodine. A simple sanding or wire brush so it adheres. Gluvit mixed is thin and flows and creeps. I have found it easier to tilt the boat up on one side and do one side then 24 hrs later do the other side.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

To answer your question, you should use the alodine first, then apply the Gluvit.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

To answer your question, you should use the alodine first, then apply the Gluvit.

WRONG! No need to create a Chromated surface.

Copy and past from the manufacturer web site

Repairing Leaky Aluminum Hulls:
Leaky seams in aluminum hulls can be difficult to seal. Gluvit is an excellent leak sealer and barrier coat for all types of surfaces. This waterproof epoxy flexes with hull or deck movements to resist the cracking or ?checking? associated with typical epoxy systems.

Remove all contaminants from repair area with solvent or a strong detergent cleaner. Sand the area with 80-100 grit sandpaper to provide a profile for adhesion, then wipe with clean dry rags. Apply a coat of Gluvit with brush or roller at 6-8 mils and lightly tip with a foam brush to smooth surface if desired.

The finely ground fillers in Gluvit offer superior abrasion resistance. For exceptional corrosion resistance, especially in salt water, Gluvit can be applied to rivets or an entire hull. This epoxy has a ?work window? of about 60 minutes at 72?F to provide adequate time to complete big jobs.