Do I need back up bilge pump?

JasonB

Lieutenant
For me the answer is yes. It's cheap insurance for less than $100. Here's two situations I have been in-

1) Fishing in my 16' tri-hull/outboard when the wind kicks up, 2 miles from the ramp so I head in. Lake is white-capping badly. A couple fellows in a flat bottom flag me down just over a mile from the dock. They lost power and boat is full of water. Their boat goes down while I am trying to get them on mine. Water has kicked up to the point that in trying to hold station, I'm spearing every other wave and taking 5+ gallons of water per wave. Whole thing took 15 minutes and my 600ish gph bilge on the whole time. Head back to the dock barely making headway. After getting to the dock and getting the boat on the trailer, I'm still pumping water out. I put in a second pump with a separate discharge in after that.

2) 19' deep v bowrider with a self bailing bow that we just bought, not very familiar with it yet, have a couple folks up front as we idle back to skier. It was a nice smooth river until a houseboat comes down the narrow river at full tilt. As I idle the boat into his wake, I mis-time one and get a wall of water over the bow. Enough water made it past the bow pan that when I lifted the engine cover to check things out. Water is up to the oil pan. It was a bad time for the existing pump to die, but it did. Limped back to the ramp a couple miles away. Boat had two new pumps (separate outlets) the next trip out as well as a float switch on the biggest one.

Just sold the bowrider and picked up a 22' aluminum deck boat. It has a single pump. Guess what is going in it over the winter? I saw a boat just like this one take a towboat wake over the bow and end up with 3" of water in the floor. Stuff happens.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For fair weather boating within sight of land a second pump would not be essential. A bucket as a back up is fine, especially if you're not a solo boater.

robert graham

Admiral
Yes, If
You boat way offshore, if so also add another battery
Your maintenance is not done on a regular basis

No, If
Your within 1/2 hour from shore
Your maintenance is done on a regular basis

For both the above you need a marine radio

My back up bilge pump is a bucket

My 2nd on this answer!.....it really all depends on where/how far you're going....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Most drownings occur within 100' of land... I suspect that most boats that sink do so within sight of land.... Having personally been in a boat that took on water and sank with a bilge pump that worked that morning but failed when needed (we chose to run aground before going under) I can say without a doubt that a spare bilge pump is a really smart move.

With this particular boat we got a ride from a friend and I pulled the pump from my boat along with a battery since his had been underwater along with the engine...

We stuffed a dozen life jackets under the boat and 6 of us lifted it while my pump worked... After about 10 minutes it was floating without the life jackets or people tho still swamped... About an hour later 80% of the water was out and we towed it to the boat ramp and put it on the trailer....
If he'd had a backup bilge pump we would have been able to simply drive it to the ramp without it sinking.

We did have a bucket but it didn't take long to realize that 2500 gallons per hour at 3/4 gallon per scoop was best left to a machine.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The corps of engineers have signs posted at every lake indicating how many people have drowned not wearing life jackets, they all read zero of those wearing them.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Yes, they are cheap! I have 2 pumps, both with auto switches, each on a different battery. Mine almost went down in a bad overnight storm when the single float swich failed. I now consider haveing 2 to be cheap insurance. I also have both batteries tied to a switch so I can start from both. 2 summers ago my starting battery died and while it wasn't that big a problem it would have been nice to just flip the switch and carry on.