Do I need a new PROP? How can I tell? What do I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Do I need a new PROP? How can I tell? What do I buy?

how bout a fuel filter, when was the last time it was changed, looking down the throat and giving it gas isnt a good indicator of the engine getting full fuel flow/volume at wot

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just watched the video again and it gets to 3000 pretty quickly then struggles to 4000. kind of sounds like a fuel issue to me

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just watched it again and never saw you trim the drive, are you leaving it down? i realize the gauge isnt indicating its fully down but it might not be accurate. just another .02

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

Before you assume you have a problem, use a GPS to measure speed and get a known tach.

Troubleshooting without knowing the correct RPM and speed is a complete waste of time.....

just watched it again and never saw you trim the drive, are you leaving it down? i realize the gauge isnt indicating its fully down but it might not be accurate. just another .02

Trimming the drive is another requirement. If you don't trim it for best speed, you can easily lose 10-20 mph

4Wins

Seaman

Howdy,

Before you assume you have a problem, use a GPS to measure speed and get a known tach.
Troubleshooting without knowing the correct RPM and speed is a complete waste of time.....
Trimming the drive is another requirement. If you don't trim it for best speed, you can easily lose 10-20 mph

I am trimmed out as cleanly as I can get it before the bow will start raising out of the water. The problem is
I cannot get the boat to plane out with prop all the way down under a boat load of more than 2 people. In the video i do adjust the trim to achieve max rpm/speed before I start to porpoise or pull back into the water. But again that is with only myself in the boat. I will check my MPH and RPM next time out with my Garmin and SPEDO.

4Wins

Seaman

I plan to change my wires when i do the compression check because they are pretty gunked up where they connect to distributor cap. Can anyone hook me up with a part number or a link to a website where I can order them?
I might as well changed out the fuel filter as well. Part number for that? Are there two types of filters. My manual shows that there is an in-line fuel filter as well.

Gangly

Seaman

It sounds soooooo much like a trim issue. Your trim should not be down at all with that many people in the front of the boat. The weight of the people alone in the front of the boat will keep the nose end down and have it plowing through waves to slow you down and keep you from getting on plane. You will need to trim up more than you are used to from the very start in order to get the boat to rise up out of the water and get on plane. It will porpose some while its trimmed up and accelerating, but you will be gaining speed and eventually the nose of the boat will settle and it will smoother out considerably. Once you are on plane and moving good, then go ahead and trim it down SLIGHTLY to keep it from porposing <sp?> as much. A front-end loaded boat is trimmed A LOT differently than an empty or lightly loaded boat and needs to be pushed up and out of the water. You will NEVER get that boat up on plane with the drive trimmed down and everybody on the front of it.

You need to drop the worries with the ignition issues, its not an ignition or fuel issue, your engine would be sputtering and stuttering all over the place if it was, especially with that much load on it. Make sure you arent giving it too much throttle too soon either. If you give it too much throttle, you will get cavitation and go nowhere as well in which case a new prop is in order, but if I remember correctly your prop is correctly spec'd.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

.....You need to drop the worries with the ignition issues, its not an ignition or fuel issue, your engine would be sputtering and stuttering all over the place if it was.......

Ditto!

4Wins

Seaman

It sounds soooooo much like a trim issue. Your trim should not be down at all with that many people in the front of the boat. The weight of the people alone in the front of the boat will keep the nose end down and have it plowing through waves to slow you down and keep you from getting on plane. You will need to trim up more than you are used to from the very start in order to get the boat to rise up out of the water and get on plane. It will porpose some while its trimmed up and accelerating, but you will be gaining speed and eventually the nose of the boat will settle and it will smoother out considerably. Once you are on plane and moving good, then go ahead and trim it down SLIGHTLY to keep it from porposing <sp?> as much. A front-end loaded boat is trimmed A LOT differently than an empty or lightly loaded boat and needs to be pushed up and out of the water. You will NEVER get that boat up on plane with the drive trimmed down and everybody on the front of it.

You need to drop the worries with the ignition issues, its not an ignition or fuel issue, your engine would be sputtering and stuttering all over the place if it was, especially with that much load on it. Make sure you arent giving it too much throttle too soon either. If you give it too much throttle, you will get cavitation and go nowhere as well in which case a new prop is in order, but if I remember correctly your prop is correctly spec'd.

OK I am tracking you on the ignition and fuel issues or should i say non issue. So what you're saying is when i Have a boat full of people (2 along back seat and myself driving and 3 in the front) From resting in the water I should have the trim up as i throttle forward into a plane out? And slowly throttle up until I plane out? Then once i plane out i decrease the trim slightly to reach max speed? Because this is basically the opposite of what i have been doing. I have been doing what I do when its just me or one other person in the boat. Which is have trim all the way down, throttle forward slowly until i am on plane and then i trim up until i find the sweet spot. Meaning i am not porpoising and i am riding on plane smoothly.

Gangly

Seaman

You shouldnt take off with your trim all the way down, rarely ever.

When the boat is "light", or very little weight: Your boats trim when taking off is just slightly lower than it would be when on plane, only enough to keep the nose from coming up so high when taking off. Some people never adjust their trim at all, they leave it where the boat rides best at full throttle and keep it there without ever adjusting it. When doing this, the nose of the boat sits higher at take off until you get to planing speed, but thats it.

When the boat is "Heavy", or a lot of weight: It really depends on the location of the passengers present. Obviously, they need to be evenly dispersed so that the boat isnt lopsided to the left or right, but you really only adjust the trim to account for the adjusted front to back weight ratio. A good way to think about trim is to think that the direction your trim moves is the direction that the bow, or front of the boat, is going to move. If you trim down, the bow will go down, if you trim up then the bow will go up. Knowing this, you use the trim to adjust "ride hieght". Now, think about the front to back weight ratio on the boat with a full load of people. If everybody is sitting in the front of the boat, then the front of the boat will be sitting a lot lower in the water than it normally would, turning it into a plow and making it that much harder to get it up and out of the water and on plane. To counter this, you would start with your trim up higher than it normally would be so that the propulsion system can help lift the front end of the boat up out of the water to get it on plane. If the trim doesnt assist in raising the front of the boat, the front end will simply plow through the water like a bull dozer and never be able to get enough speed to get on plane which is most likely what is occurring with your boat.

If all the weight was in the back of the boat and the bow was sitting a lot higher in the water column when at rest, then you would start with the trim down lower than normal so that the front end would come down and level out allowing you to build up enough speed to get on plane.

When I have a good sized group of people, I will leave my trim at the same height as I would when im at full speed and on plane. Sometimes, depending on the "heaftiness" of the individuals on the very front of the boat, I actually start off from a dead stop with more trim than I would have at full speed, gradually timming back down once i get to planning speed.

Last edited:

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would still check the tach and speedo accuracy.in your video with just yourself in the boat even with it trimmed all the way in, 32 would still seem a bit slow for a 5.0l. if you were trimming it as you said...all the way in to start then slowly raise it until porpoising then back off a bit... , you should be flying(by yourself). my 4.3 with a 19 pitch will do 39 gps with me, my wife and full fuel, even adding a couple more poeple really doesnt slow it much more-i still think you may have a slight fuel starvation issue too

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Fuel starvation can take two forms. One is that the pump is not delivering sufficient volume to keep the float bowl full. That will make the engine run noticeably crappy.

The other form is that the jets are too small and the engine runs lean. This may allow the engine to run smoother than the scenario above, but will not allow it to develop full power and will still run crappy at full throttle. If this were the case you would soon do damage to the engine but in the mean time this condition would be very evident with a spark plug reading.

From all I can gather, by his description. neither of these conditions are his problem.

4Wins

Seaman

OK got some new info. I was able to put a new fuel filter in today. Still having the same issues. Also got a distributor cap and some new wires at the local boat shop. I have yet to put those in. I know you all don't think that is necessary but they are caked with gunk. So it won't hurt. Also took my Garmin out and checked my speedometer for accuracy. Its very close I would say + or - 4 MPH. I will be posting a video soon.I did notice one more detail. When i was at WOT i would occasionally get a issue where I notice my engine would kinda let off a little and rev back up and this would repeat several times over and over again. This is a first. IT happened on every run today.

Last edited:

4Wins

Seaman

Here is the video. Was only able to get it up to 25-27 in this video at 3800 RPM or so. Had it up it up to 30 MPH at 4000 RPM a little before this video was shot. My phone went into over temp tho and i couldn't get any more video. I also talked to the mech at the shop and he recommend I go with a 19 pitch prop as opposed to a 21 pitch. He would have let me take one so I could try it and see if that helped but he didn't have any in his stock that would fit my boat.

4 Winns 5.0 - YouTube

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

video shows trim full down through the run, is that right? should be trimmed up at least some, and hard to tell by the video sound but doesnt really sound like 4k to me

4Wins

Seaman

video shows trim full down through the run, is that right? should be trimmed up at least some, and hard to tell by the video sound but doesnt really sound like 4k to me

I was playing with the trim trying to see how my boat would react. In the beginning it was trimmed up and on plane. I trimmed all the way down at the end.

4Wins

Seaman

Got my Solas 14.5 x19 prop in today. Gonna put that on and check my compression this weekend. What kind of tool do i need to check my fuel pressure and where do i tap into the fuel system at?

4Wins

Seaman

i would still check the tach and speedo accuracy.in your video with just yourself in the boat even with it trimmed all the way in, 32 would still seem a bit slow for a 5.0l. if you were trimming it as you said...all the way in to start then slowly raise it until porpoising then back off a bit... , you should be flying(by yourself). my 4.3 with a 19 pitch will do 39 gps with me, my wife and full fuel, even adding a couple more poeple really doesnt slow it much more-i still think you may have a slight fuel starvation issue too

What kind of tool do I need to check my fuel pressure and where do i tap into the fuel system at?

4Wins

Seaman

Can I use a compression gage to read fuel PSI using a
t-fitting?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Can I use a compression gage to read fuel PSI using a
t-fitting?

NO! Go down to your local parts store and buy an inexpensive fuel pressure gauge, then T it in just before the carburetor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.