DIY LU pressure tester?

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any ideas on how to make pressure tester for LU for DIY pressure testing?

I can get an oil fitting for the LU, and maybe demolish a ~30 USD bicycle foot pump with pressure gauge, I think its hose would fit directly with the fitting. Are there any fittings that would allow installing a bike air valve or such into an air hose?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Re: DIY LU pressure tester?

You can google search Lower Unit Pressure Tester and there are a couple links for homemade jobs. My question is why not spend the $133 and get a stevens s-34 that will last a lifetime?

matt167

Captain

Yup, bike pump and a gear lube fitting works just fine.
293hzeu.jpg

phillnjack2

Ensign

What is the pressure you want to test it at ?
plus what are you going to use as a release valve ? tyre type valve and valve key ?
i.e valve left in fitting and then use valve key to release pressure when taking it off.

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

cycle pumps will put upto around 100psi if you want them to, this would be enough to crack a gearbox, especially if its a Yamaha !!!

phill

matt167

Captain

With my tester ( above ). I test at 12 PSI. The gauge is pretty well marked below 20 PSI. My LU leaked and I just wanted to see what seals needed replacing, so I knew that it was an auto drain. But for the purpose of a pressure test when I know it should hold pressure, a T fitting in the line with a plastic ball valve will work to release pressure... Currently the investment for my tester is around $27. $10 for a new gear lube pump, and $17 for the bike pump, and the bike pump schrader valve fitting unscrews, and the gear lube fitting fits right in that hose

Last edited:

phillnjack2

Ensign

I see, all sounds pretty good.
so what pressure would you think the gearbox runs at when on the boat ?
at least you have a gearbox oil pump and a bike pump to use as well as a gearbox pressure tester all for the small sum of money.
sounds good to me, multi purpose and cheap.

phill

matt167

Captain

Doubt the pressure is over 10-15 PSI when on the boat.. I had read to test between 10 and 15 PSI, so that's why I split the difference and test at 12 PSI

phillnjack2

Ensign

sounds good.
I would think about 2psi when running on the boat as gearbox would be running very cool if enough of the right oil is also in there.

phill

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup, just to get a little over pressure into the unit, and hold it there. Certainly should never exceed 30psi. I hope the gauge is accurate enough on those cheap bike pumps to not exceed 30psi actual when it shows 10 or 15, or so.

There is a minor leak in the LU, oil is very thick and milk coffee colored after season. I hope it will reveal is it a shaft seal or just the either of the drain plug fittings leaking.

matt167

Captain

Gauge on mine is accurate. I plugged it into a valve stem on my truck and compared the gauge to a known accurate tire gauge and it was on the money.. If it was not accurate, I'd have split a tee in the line that I could fit my 0-15 PSI fuel pressure gauge line onto. Still not a bad idea

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

I use a Mityvac...allows you to test both pressure / vacuum.

It doesn't qualify as DIY but it's relatively inexpensive.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Should hold 15 psi for a few minutes and 15 psi vacuum for a few minutes.

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Something like that Mityvac would work excellently, but so far I haven't found one here for under 100 USD. And ordering from US would quickly cost the same adding freight and tax.

Should hold 15 psi for a few minutes and 15 psi vacuum for a few minutes.

You meant to say 15 inches of mercury of vacuum.

Anyway, I finally found the procedure in my OMC service manual. It says to apply 3 - 6 psi and verify that the gearcase is holding pressure. If it's good at that pressure go to 16 - 18 psi. Then if all is good apply 3 - 5 in. of mercury of vacuum and verify that it holds. If so then go up to 15 inches of mercury of vacuum.

kfa4303

Banned

Any ideas on how to make pressure tester for LU for DIY pressure testing?

I can get an oil fitting for the LU, and maybe demolish a ~30 USD bicycle foot pump with pressure gauge, I think its hose would fit directly with the fitting. Are there any fittings that would allow installing a bike air valve or such into an air hose?

+1. That'll work. Several other folks have made similar gizmos. I love anything DIY.