DIY - Canvas Enclosure

tpenfield

Staff member
Greetings . . .

With boating season only a month or 2 away in the Northeast (USA) I have been busy doing some canvas work for my boat. My boat only came with the mooring cover, not the full camper-style enclosure. So that is on my project list for this year. . . to make an enclosure.

The back story is that a friend of mine who has the same boat as I lost his bow section cover during a storm. He asked if I would make him a new one, using my bow cover as a template. I said "sure" . . . if I could use his camper enclosure canvas as templates to make my enclosure. Thus the deal was on. I got his bow cover done and now I am delving into the camper enclosure. Boat canvas is not quite in my wheel house, but so far I have enjoyed gaining the skills.

The camper canvas for my boat is made up of 8 panels, each of them have 'glass' (i.e. strataglass) in them for light. The plastic/glass material is a bit pricey . . . around $8/sq. ft. . . . To do all of the panels, I had to buy 3 'rolls' of the 'glass' material @ around $1K. I went with the thicker 0.040" glass, rather than cheaping-out with 0.030" glass. Adding the canvas, edge binding tape, zippers, snaps, etc . . . I'm into it for about $1,700. I think the canvas enclosure from the factory (or locally) would be $7-10K. So the money equation works out.

I've spent the last day or 2 cutting out the glass panels and sewing in the edge binding. . . 8 glass panels total, using about 100 ft of edge binding. (I had 1 foot extra from the roll :D ).

Anyway, here is a picture of some of the glass panels with edge binding sewn in. . . .
IMG_5894.JPG
I had the blue binding tape left over from some other canvas work, so I used that on the window sections, even though the canvas itself will be black.

Next steps will be to make the canvas portions (using the black canvas pieces shown as templates). My plan is to initially make them in a roughed-in fashion and a bit over-sized, so I can more precisely fit them to my boat and finish off the edges, locate the snaps, etc.

I'll be posting updates as I go.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Your fabric-ing skills are so impressive. It would be interesting to see how many hours it takes you. Do you need supports or does it snap to existing structure?

tpenfield

Staff member
Your fabric-ing skills are so impressive. It would be interesting to see how many hours it takes you. Do you need supports or does it snap to existing structure?
Thanks for your kind words. Yes, the boat has an arch and soft top. The panels attach to it. I'll need to install the bead attachments & zippers in some places, but other places already have the zippers as part of the soft top.

Yes, canvas seems to take a long time as compared to the seating upholstery.

tpenfield

Staff member
This stuff is a bit labor intensive . . . but I was able to make some decent progress today. Here is one of the aft side panels (port side), along with the one I am borrowing as a template. My handy work is the one further back. I made it slightly bigger on the lower edge and ends for final fit adjustments.
IMG_5895.JPG
I didn't have the zippers, so those are on order. I have the starboard side match to this almost done. I've been working on this for the past 2 days . . . I'm guessing it will take a few weeks to finish.

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is the second aft side panel. Both are awaiting zippers.
IMG_5896.JPG
I'm going to start on the forward side panels today. Not as much canvas on those . . . mostly 'glass'.

tpenfield

Staff member
Here are the forward side panels. As mentioned these are larger than the aft panels, having more glass.
IMG_5897.JPG
This took me about 8.5 hours for both (4.25 hrs each) to get them to this point. I had the glass pieces cut & sewn the other day. I'm still waiting on the zippers to arrive and then I'll need to stitch those in and fit the panels to the boat. The bottom edges are still rough as that will be finished after fitting them to the boat, getting the snap locations, etc.

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update . . .

I am starting to pick up the pace. This (below) is part of the windshield canvas where the walk-thru is located on the port side. It is actually 2 smaller pieces tacked together at the top. I did find a spare zipper to sew in where the pieces join. I got about 3 hrs into this piece, and it is at a point where I'm just waiting for my additional supplies (Zippers, binding, etc.)

My handy work is on the left (blue trim) and the OEM piece is on the right. I got a new snap swaging tool that can do the stud fittings in addition to the snap-caps. My old tool could only do the caps.
IMG_5898.JPG
IMG_5899.JPG
I checked my material supply order with the vendor and it has been 2 days with no shipping information (not happy). :cautious: Usually they ship same or next day.

tpenfield

Staff member
More progress today . . . I got the main windshield piece done.
IMG_5900.JPG
just need some zippers . . . :ROFLMAO:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey Ted, wanna make side and front curtains for another Cruisers....... I can send the patterns. ;D

tpenfield

Staff member
I've been working on the aft canvas . . . it goes across the stern and is approximately 9' high (long) x 11 ' wide, as it slopes from the back of the soft top frame down/over the rear seat.

I've had to move my tables and sewing machine all around to accommodate the various sewing and cutting needs. Reminds me of when I made the mooring cover for my Formula 330.
IMG_5901.JPG
IMG_5903.JPG
IMG_5902.JPG
. . . Still waiting for my zippers. I got 1 FedEx package today, but it was the velcro and more binding tape. The zippers are currently at the sorting facility in East Boston . . . supposed to arrive today though. :unsure:

tpenfield

Staff member
The Zippers are here !!! :D

IMG_5904.JPG
IMG_5905.JPG
They arrived right around lunch time, so I'll be sewing like a bad boy this afternoon. :ROFLMAO:

tpenfield

Staff member
After approximately 8 days of measuring, cutting, sewing I have the 8 panels of the camper enclosure to my boat ready and folded in a pile for transport to the boat on Cape Cod.

IMG_5906.JPG

I'll be doing the test fitting and marking things so that I can finish it off over the next few weeks.

The forward sections of the canvas are supposed to have zippers attached to the radar arch via PVC welt & rail. I'm not sure if this would be better than just having snaps. I do know that most canvas is done with zippers at the top and corners, but snaps at the lower edge where it meets the boat hull or window frame.

I guess I'll have to decide when I make the fitting this weekend.