Dixie Boats (Are they reliable?)

regjen

Cadet
A guy in my area is selling a Dixie Boat which is a 21foot walkaround with cuddy and looks great but I'm apprehensive due to the fact that the manufacturer (Dixie Boats) has gone out of business. Are these boats reliable or should I run and run fast.

Reg

Apathetic

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Dixie Boats (Are they reliable?)

I've owned a 16' 1983 Dixie bow rider all the way until July when it became the possession of my neighbor across the street (since I own a bigger boat now I didn't have a use for it). I never had any trouble with it. It was (over) powered by a 115HP Mercury from 1996 to present, but was always fine.

That's my :2cents:

Is this boat you speak of in Virginia? I just saw a 21 footer for sale recently, too, and was wondering. Don't worry, I have zero interest, lol.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are many good boats out there that the manufacturer could not compete with the big company (Brunswick around 28 different brands) or was bought up by the big guy.

regjen

Cadet

As a matter of fact it is in Virginia. Leave that boat alone (my turn now). lol
Thanks for reply.

Apathetic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

regjen,

Where in Virginia are you? I'm in Lancaster county. I think, if I remember it correctly, I saw it listed in the R. Record but might have been in one of the trade papers.

Definitely not interested, I have a 21' already, but I'm now trying to get a Scarab III (34'). It's just good that maybe I'm seeing someone near me on this site.

Good luck to you. :)

regjen

Cadet

I'm in Charles Town, WV. I just looked up Lancaster co. VA (you are right on the water). I see why a 34 footer would be a welcomed addition to the Armada. I won the boat by the way. Now comes the fun part. I am very green in terms of boating, any helpful hints or suggestions when unloading and loading the boat in the water? I've been out with my uncle on a few occasions but this is my first boat.

MikDee

Banned

Hey regjen, get a good set of guides for the trailer, and drift it, or drive it on the trailer, but Not fast! Don't ever forget to put in the drain plug, don't ask me how I know ;) Happy boating, Mike

regjen

Cadet

Question for you. I was looking at getting the Powerwinch 315 that was rated for up to 17ft and 4000lbs max weight. The boat I have is 21ft and 3000lbs. Obviously the winch can handle the weight but is the length going to be an issue or should I look at a winch (say the Powerwinch RC23) that covers both length and weight but cost more as well?

Reg

regjen

Cadet

Question for you. I was looking at getting the Powerwinch 315 that was rated for up to 17ft and 4000lbs max weight. The boat I have is 21ft and 3000lbs. Obviously the winch can handle the weight but is the length going to be an issue or should I look at a winch (say the Powerwinch RC23) that covers both length and weight but cost more as well?

Reg

regjen

Cadet

I know this is simple but how do I post a new message on this website? Thanks.
Reg