Diving in...Bass boat remodel!

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Diving in...Bass boat remodel!

Whatcha mean mold release? You mean make sure they will come off when removed? If so, the transom is cured. It wasnt wet with resin when i clamped it all down so it should come off no problems. :D

Thanks
RC

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well its been a sorta slow week for me on the boat, and a very busy week working. Iv been working 60 hours a week here last 2 weeks making good money, so the boat project has sorta once again took a side seat. The wifey would have it no other way lol!

I did manage to get the stringers bedded in and tabbed in, and not much of anything else. Got the hull roughed and scuffed where i will be glassing the stringers in this coming week, but other than that, its been a little slow going.

This coming week i plan to get the outer stringers set in and glassed as well as the main stringers glassed also. I am going to glass them in using the method of full length "tab" type sections of glass and then cap them with csm and 1708. I did a few tests on scrap wood and the glass seems to mold to the wood very well if i let the resin kick a little and get tacky, then stick the glass to it and wet it out. Worked very well in my tests so it should go on like butter when i do the stringers.

Man ill tell ya tho, wood is REALLY strong with glass over it. My stringers were a little flimsy before i set them in the boat, but after i used the PL to bed them <worked great> and tabbed them in, they were solid as a rock! I have absolutely no worries about them having a lot of strength after a layer of csm and a layer of 1708 on them.

More to come soon!
RC

Heres a few pics!

IMG_0265_thumb.jpg

IMG_0264_thumb.jpg

IMG_0263_thumb.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Stringers look real good. No doubt your structure will be better than it ever was from the factory when you're done.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

looking good rc, once you get the time to get back to it you should be flying thru the process. grab the ot while you can, you gotta keep that fridge full for boat and work days, heres to a few slower days so you can get back to her.
seeya, D

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right on thanks guys!

The structure sure was lacking from the factory. They only put one thin layer of csm, prolly from a chopper gun, over the stringers. It lasted to now but led to rot eventually. My neighbor has been watching me work on it and he has nicknamed the boat "bullet proof" lol. Thats all he keeps sayin is it looks bullet proof.

Got the beers fully stocked for this coming week. I got 2 days no work planned other than boat work. I have gotten one of the stringers glassed in also, no pics yet, but when i get the other glassed and the transom tabbed in i will get more pics up.

Thanks for the comments fellas. More to come soon!

RC

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looking good RC! Do you have the plywood for the deck yet? You'll be walking on a new deck before you know it:)

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ohhh man, two days of nothing but beer and working on the boat?! Sounds like you should make some serious progress!

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like a great project- Subscribing and look forward to your updates!

Chris

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good RC! Do you have the plywood for the deck yet? You'll be walking on a new deck before you know it:)

Yessir i sure do! Im using one piece of it as my wet out table on a couple saw horses right now lol. Its been drying out for almost 6 months in the garage, so its ready to be prepped and cut to shape. These 2 days of work coming up will see the deck prepped, cut and installed hopefully.

I think ill follow the suggestion made about keepin the beer drinking light while the chemicals and power tools are out for this part tho lol. I want the deck to fit the first time with no trouble so i will pay extra close attention lol.

I plan to seal with resin and CSM top and bottom, top the stringers with PL, lay the deck in and use SS screws in a few select places already pre designated, and then 2 layers of csm to seal it to the hull.

My one concern is i cannot put the cap back on before i install the deck. I dont think it will be a problem because from my measurements the hull has not changed shape at all from when i took the cap of to now. I measured the width across in 3 places when i removed the cap and they are the same measurements today. I figure it wont make a difference to install the deck with the cap off because even if the walls were wider by chance, they can easily be pushed into the top cap. They are pretty flexable under pressure, but the bottom of the boat is very stiff!

Shouldnt be a problem moving forward from here. I think progress will be made rather quickly!

Thanks for the comments guys!
RC

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welp finally some free time coming up!! Woohoo!

Gonna be all about getting the stringers finished and the deck cut and installed over the next 2 days.

All is ready and the process should go without a hitch! Got everything i need at hand, including, at last!!! TIME!! :D

Updates to follow soon with more pics.

RC

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i cant wait to see this done, kind of makes me want to save a fiberglass boat.

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys, its been a while since i have been able to post updates. Progress has been made and i have pics to upload as well. Just need to get more than 3 free minutes to do it lol.

Got the stringers glassed in and parts of the deck cut. Im working on prepping the deck now but i ran out of MEKP to coat the wood pieces in so see my thread about that and please chime in!

Pics to follow soon.

RC

_7_

Cadet

Coming along.
How about some updated pics? Did you make your May Splash date?

DryDr

Recruit

Where's the update?! I'm reeallly curious about how the project has turned out. I have the same model and may try this.

AfterTithes

Cadet

Hey RC i have just started a build and read your post all the way thropugh. Any updates?

Thanks,

A.T.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Whatcha mean mold release? You mean make sure they will come off when removed? If so, the transom is cured. It wasnt wet with resin when i clamped it all down so it should come off no problems. :D

Thanks
RC

Did you use PL to attach the new transom to the skin of the hull??