Distributor Cap Information please? Volvo Penta AQ225e

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Distributor Cap Information please? Volvo Penta AQ225e

If you do the compression test properly, it could tell you if it's valves (or a hole in a piston) or just rings. A leak down test would tell you for sure, but if there is no compression (or very low compression) the head has to come off and then things will be able to be looked at.<br />Here is how to do a compression test properly.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/97/97_25.pdf

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by 86bayliner:<br /> I will do that Don.<br /><br />Ok so will the compression check results tell me if the valves are leaky? And if the valve is leaky, I guess that would have to be for a new thread, huh.?<br /><br /><br />thanks<br />hopeful Bayliner
If the Valves,...........<br />Or Anything Else is Leaky,.........<br />It's time to Pull the Heads,+ See What/ Why,+ Where it's Leaky.............

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jeeez louweeez, im only a pressure washer contractor. don thanks for the link , some reason the browser keeps timing out on me but i'll keep checking it. I'll do the compression tests and try to get condenser and points together. It may take a few days to round everything up i need. <br /><br />So till then, I'll be reading messages and thinking up new questions to ask.<br /><br />Thankyou infinity, If you ever want to know how to professionally clean the exterior of your house or your driveway, dont hesitate to ask? <br />-------------------------------------------------<br /><br />hopeful 86bayliner

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i feel really stupid, but after much rearch. And a couple of tests i thought to do.<br /><br />ok , i discovered by removing #7 spark plug wire, the engine shutup the popping sound. I then inspected the wire real good, nothing logically seems wrong with the wire. I removed the spark plug and the tip was pretty oily. Now, what do i doo.???????Throw money at a new spark plug....<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------<br />thanks 86bayliner

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do a quick test by changing positions of the plug with another one. Or change plug wires with another one. At least this way you can hone in on it a little closer and maybe determine if it's that specific plug or plug wire that's the culprit.<br /><br />You also say that you changed plugs. What brand, just outta curiousity. It's not out of the question that you could have gotten a bum plug even new.

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Bondo, you win.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> Due to the fact that it Runs Fine, at idle,+ the lower RPMs,........<br /><br />I'd be looking at the Fuel Delivery System......<br /><br />I think your Spark is Fine,+ it's going Lean at higher RPMs.................
-------------------------------------------------<br /><br />You win, my spark is fine. However if I disconnect the sparkplug wire from #7 cylinder , the noise stops, rest of engine sounds awesome, at high and low rpms?????? Can I have a fuel delivery issue in just that one cylinder?<br /><br />or now my problem has to be a valve , ring, or gasket. Right?

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wotknot they are acDelco MR43T spark plugs ? Any good , I was getting a spark to the plug from the wire, so thats stuffs good, its, well waiting to see what Bondo says about the possible fuel problem. Can it get too lean in only one cylinder, and is that something that can be adjusted. Or im afraid of a valve, ring or gasket, hoping its the fuel. <br /><br />Its either what Bondo said and that fuel delivery problem is adjustable, or im really messed up for a while.?<br /><br />86 hopeful bayliner<br />thanks everybody for your help with this newb.<br />norcross ga

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

What I was inferring is, you can still have a plug wire breaking down under load. Did you try swapping the plug wire on #7 over with, to say, #3? If the problem changes to #3 then the wire would be the demon. And then again, if it's still #7, well at least you've ruled out the plug wire. And then try swapping the #7 plug with #3 to try and rule out the plug. What you've got is one of those PITA problems so start with the easiest to diagnose and then work your way forward. And yes, AC plugs are good, I just thought it might have been one of the "C" plugs.

Bondo

Staff member

or now my problem has to be a valve , ring, or gasket. Right?
Ayuh,............<br /><br />I'm betting on a Bad Valve,..........<br /><br />And maybe weak Rings.............