distributer identification

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman
I have a 1985 3.0 liter OMC and sterndrive and would like to replace the points with electronic ignition. My problem is, I can find no tags or other identifying marking on the distributer to tell me whether it is Prestolite, Mallory or what. Is there any particular way to identify the manufacturer without the tag?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: distributer identification

Got a picture you could post?

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman

Here you go. Does that help? One other question came to mind. With the ESA, do electronic ignition systems work?

Don S

Don't help a bit! NO picture!!!!!!

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman

I'll try again. If it doesn't come through this time, i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman

I'll try again. If it doesn't come through this time, i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman

I guess I can't attach a photo. It says the file is too big and I have no idea how to make it smaller.

Don S

Ok, off to picture school.
First you need to have your picture on the web. You can go to http://www.photobucket.com/ and start a free account and get a URL for posting the pics.
Then after you copy the URL for your picture (use the full sized picture, not the thumbnail, and keep the image small enough to see what you have, but not HUGE!!!!)
Click on the icon that looks like this
Picture%20Icon.png
After you click the icon, you will get a prompt box that looks something like this.

Picture%20Prompt.png

Just paste the url in that box (Delete what is already there) and click ok.
You will see the link in your typing box.
Click ADD REPLY and your picture should come up.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I use the URL at the thumbnail.....works fine...but also all my pix go through Picasa, and resized. Any size will post here. I've seen huge ones!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

for the 3.0 about the best setup you will find is to replace the existing point set up with the delco EST setup. however points work and work well if you dont mind the maint on them.
dont expect any performance gains with just an ign change.
unless your current ign system is faulty.