dissapointed after powerhead rebuild, help needed

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why would you install the seal like that.---The manuals and also the parts manuals show that it is installed the other way !---Did you remove the brass high speed jets from the carburetor bowl ?---They are about 5/8" long and screwed horizontally into the carburetor bowl.----When you answer specific questions we may be able to help steer you in the right direction.

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I installed the seal facing the direction the old one came out, it looks like that was a mistake. I wonder if the old one was letting air into the crankcase all along since it had these symptoms when i bought the engine. Now i am wondering if the lower seal was also backwards. I have removed the high speed jet from one carb and it was clean. The other was stuck so i left it in and soaked the carb, then ran a piece of copper wire thru it and blowed it out with air, it looks good when u shine light thru it'

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bosunsmate I actually havent been able to check the timing with a light, the only guy i know who would have a marine timing light is at deer camp right now, would an automotive type timing light work ? and also i remember which way the new lower seal came out and was reinstalled, and it should be installed in the correct direction. I have a repair manual ordered, but its not due to be here till towards the end of next week, i am hoping after doing a proper link and sync that it helps.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
What symptoms will leaking reeds cause on my engine i remember when i tore the engine down that on one block, that out of the 8 fingers, almost everyone of them was letting at least some light thru where they werent sealing off

Depending how big the gap is if fuel is spiting out from air filter side [back end] its telling you the reeds are not closing on down stroke of piston i helped my neighbour with his motor it also would not idle just turn the petals around solves the problem

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok, Update time, i put my new seal in so I could go back to trouble shooting, and by the way the seal didnt make a difference. With the engine running, i can partially cover the throat on the top carb and it will pick up and level off. I can cover the bottom carb throat and if anything, it dies down a bit. I swapped positions with the carbs and the test results swapped with them, now when i partially cover the bottom carb the engine picks up. also after swapping the carbs, i actually had to turn the idle screw part way in to idle it down, i was having to run it with the idle screw all the way in.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
id back out all the orifices and jets on both carbs and compare them, some previous owner may of put some odd ones in

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
i pulled the air bleed jets out and they are both #36, I pulled the high speed jets from the bowls and they are # 50D but heres where the redneck comes out, i will try to explain where i can be followed. i drilled out the lead shot on top of the carb above where the fuel tube from the bowl for the idle exits and the fuels goes to the idle circuit holes that lead back into the throat behind the butterfly. next i took a toothpick and pushed into the top of the fuel tube to plug it. Next i took the smallest weedeater fuel line they make and slid on the bottom of the tube that leads into the bowl and it fit tightly, well when i blow into the weedeater fuel line, i can blow air into the carb even with the top of the tube plugged, so i took some red die mix that i has and fed into the tube and watched it run into the carb from high speed fuel tube. this tells me that my idle fuel tube has a hole or a split in it.