Disconnect trailer wiring?

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Disconnect trailer wiring?

Always leave mine plugged in, with surge brakes need it for the reverse lock out.

Nandy

Commander

Disconnecting trailer lights is not so much for protection from shorts as it is from cold water striking a hot bulb which is what destroys lights. I always disconnect and I can't tell you the last time I replaced a trailer bulb. If you look at trailer lights from the bottom, some are wide open. The idea being that if you took a water glass and tipped it upside down into a bucket of water it will trap a air at the top. If the lamp is supposedly sealed (but not tightly) it can leak water into it until it reaches the bulb and then it pops. I've seen lots of trailers with one or more lights half full of water.

Right on the money. Your 12v dc will not short anything in water. Now, that bulb that is hot gets submerged, it pops, the filaments that are red hot get that instant cold water and they bend to the point that sometimes they touch each other... Zap!!! there goes your fuse... LEDs are the way to go since they are cold and the filament is encapsulated in a drop of some polymer or epoxy so water cannot have an effect on it. The terminals are other story but it will take a long time to erode them. LED is the way to go and im getting that in the next light change...

Gillfisher

Cadet

I have left mine plugged in for the past 14 years on 3 different boat trailer combo's, never popped a bulb. I load the boat on the trailer in the dark often enough and having the lights on lets you see exactly where the trailer is at.

:eek: I guess I never knew that I was supposed to unplug the trailer lights, oh well.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I always unplug, the hot bulb thing as many have already explained