Disable Quick Start for Joe Reeves Timing Process

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did a search , but was confused by what I read. Is there a way to ensure Quick Start is eliminated, so Joe Reeves timing process can work on this type of ignition system?

I would think that disconnecting the two orange wires from the stator to the buss bar would eliminate this ?? These are two wires that are not included with the Non Quick Start engines.

I know there is a white wire with black stripe, as well as the brown warning system wires that can be disconnected at the PP, but I can't determine a known way of eliminating Quick Start.

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Disable Quick Start for Joe Reeves Timing Process

Thanks High trim.

That is the same on the V8 as the V6. I read a couple of conflicting posts on this method of disabling Quick Start. This clears it up. If I get a chance to set the timing this week, I will post back to verify and create a record for searches.

Thanks again.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Ground the white/blk. this tricks pack into thinks engine @ temp

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure this process works; I have grounded out the brown wire, and also the Blask and White wire. On both fast start seems to still be engaged. How far of an advance does quick start make?

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think timing on this is a bigger problem than what appears. The engine now starts, but the timing light shows way off. Like 60 degrees out.
I took the flywheel back off to make sure it did not shear the keyway. All appears good. All ignition parts are new.
The engine started and ran but would backfired while running during initial start up. This Stopped, but I knew the timing was out. I made sure the PP wires are correctly routed. The way it's made, it's nearly impossible to get it wrong.
The timeing light is attached to the #1 Cylinder, but timing is so far off, it can't be right. I'm starting to think there may be a problem with the light. Unless the flywheel is bad, I cant figure what's going on.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You are calling the top starboard cylinder # 1, right?

Tan wires don't control QuikStart, just the black and white.

Last edited:

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it's the top starboard piston looking from the back of the engine. I trippled checked all with the manual. None of the quick start wires are grounded presently. The timeing has been in this location since begining the timing process. The engine was started prior to grounding any of the connections. Timing appears to be 60 degrees retarded; if thats possible.

I'm spinning the engine with the plugs removed and the 8 plug wires attached to the spark tester.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

What colors to the number one ignition coil?

If you have orange and blue, then your flywheel sensor magnets may have moved. Use the chart from CDI Electronics to check it.

Attachments

• Sensor Magnet.JPG
    Sensor Magnet.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 6

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for those diagrams ezeke! They showed me that the flywheel was not the cause of my problems. I was going by the length of the PP wires and not by the color on the wires. # 1 and 3 were on the wrong coils. Swithched em and timing is where it sposed to be.

I do not believe there is a way to disable quick start. Not on my engine anyway. I did set timing adding +10 degrees. 4 as directed for Joes method and 6 for quick start. This was very close to the orriginal setting prior to repairs. It is running fine on muffs. All the grounding of the brown wires and white on black wires did have an effect. I think it fried the heat sensor on the head. It senses overheat all the time. I had to disconnect the brown wire to get out of SLOW.

More parts!!!