dirty boat needs care

trm

Seaman
The transom is all black at waterline(the boat is green). Must be years of acumulated crap from engine. It doesn't respond to car wash fluid or gasoline. Have read that toilet bowl cleaner with oxalic acid will clean it up. Went to the store and can't find a cleaner with oxalic acid listed in contents, and few list anything. Can someone tell me the right thing to use?<br /><br />TIA<br />swabbie

BAINOR

Seaman Apprentice
Re: dirty boat needs care

Check with RYAN T, his neighbor has a power washer.......... ;)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just paint the rest of the transom black to match.<br /><br />Ok, we aren't being much help.<br />Try some brake cleaner.<br />Or C.L.R., it is some pretty strong stuff and may eat thru the crud.

boating brad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bainor: that was probably the funniest response i've ever seen on this forum! :D swabbie i guess you had to be there to find humor in that. :)

BAINOR

Seaman Apprentice

swabbie - might try Klean-Strip Wood Bleach - after checking google I've found that oxalic acid is used as wood bleach<br /><br />Catfish - ty :p

sunbird1

Seaman

I just used "Barkeepers Friend" to clean my boat it wasn't as bad a yours but it definitely gets rid of the scum line. It is a powder like "Comet" but contains oxacylic acid. I actually heard about it on this site. You can probably get it at your local supermarket. It was only $2 a can.

trm

Seaman

Found Barkeepers Friend at Walmart and will try it this weekend and will report results next week.<br /><br />Thanks Sunbird<br /><br />Swabbie

sunbird1

Seaman

Glad to help. My only other reccomendation would be to put in on a damp sponge and scrub it with that then rinse alot because it is an acid. For the really bad spots, I used it with a "Scotch Brite" scrub pad.<br /><br />Good luck.

trm

Seaman

Hey Sunbird,<br /><br />Thanks alot. That Barkeepers Friend did the job very efficiently. Got so turned on I did the whole hull and it removes alot of stuff and kleened the hull nicely. Went ahead and buffed the boat and waxed it too. She hasn't looked this good since I met her. Small problem: after cruising for about 1 1/2 hours, but her on the trailer and there was that black area of black again at the water line on the transom!! With the wax on prior, it came of easily (15 seconds) with Windex of all things. Wish I knew what was causing it.<br /><br />Swabbie

sunbird1

Seaman

I get that too. I think it is from the o/b exhaust and unburned fuel/oil. The trick is not to let it build up otherwise it is a pain in the butt to get off again.<br /><br />Glad I could help. I have gotten a lot of help from this site and I was glad to return the favor.

profish00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Academy sells Hull cleaner its great $6:99 a bottle

trm

Seaman

Hey, Barkeepers Friend is $1.67 a can at Walmart and I must have used 1/8 can.<br /><br />Swabbie

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

Barkeeper isnt tough on the gelcoat? then again, just use it once then keep on it!<br /><br />be careful with scotch brite .. some of them are so sharp they will scratch gelcoat

trm

Seaman

I was told by several that the oxalic acid, as found in Barkeepers, does not affect the gelcoat. Many toilet bowl cleaners have hydorchloric acid. As a matter of fact, one of the "expensive" hull cleaners at the local boat shop has oxalic acid. To be sure, I didn't let the stuff linger on the hull for more than a minute. Ended up with clean boat.<br /><br />swabbie