direct injection=less service?

lewkster

Seaman
I was wondering if these newer design direct injection 2 strokes have less dirty carb like symptoms because of design? I would guess this also applies to 4 stroke injected motors also?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: direct injection=less service?

Time will tell more, Lewkster, but I think DFI and 4 stroke EFI are more reliable than carbs.<br /><br />The early DFIs like FICHT and Optimax, had serious problems that seem to be solved now. The Japanese makes seem to have gotten it right from the start.<br /><br />As for EFI in the 4 strokes, it was well developed and debugged long before it began to show up on outboards.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

However lewkster, just because they are more reliable doesn't mean you don't have to take care of the engine. Neglect it and it will fail. Take care of it and save lots of money and headaches.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Japanese makes seem to have gotten it right from the start.<br />
Except for the Yamaha 250 & 300HPDI's, which are still having problems to date.

lewkster

Seaman

I own a 2002 nissan 40 tiller. Carbed unit runs fine, was asking cause if I ever upgrade I like to gather info ahead of time. I picked the carbed unit for price point only ( am pleased with it). Perhaps a bit heavier in the future for me ( current lund sv16 350 pounds dry wieght alittle rough in the waves). Thanks for any info!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its not a matter of less maint its a matter of different maint, but all will fail without it, it means opening the ole wallet a couple times a year and changing/cleaning parts long before they fail and create more problems.<br /> yep the 250-300 HPDI yams are still,shall we say, teething? so far the 4 stroke yam V6's are dead on reliable. incredibly low amount of problems for the units we have out.<br /> I get scared everytime a 250-300 HPDI shows up:).