Dinged prop on new Johnson 25 4-stroke??

wallyevs012

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Folks,<br /> I just ran into a gravel bottom while fishing and got one blade of my prop slightly dinged. It is bent in about 1/8" at the tip. Seemes to run OK but I detect a slight vibration at full throttle. The manual says the size is 10 1/4 X 11. I would like to get this one repaired and buy a new prop. I would also prefer SS, but I can't seem to find one with this exact size. Can I buy a different size that the manual suggests or do I just stick to aluminum??? The motor is on a 16' Lund Alaskan. Any comments appreciated. Thanks very much, Wally :confused:

bigbenc2

Seaman
Re: Dinged prop on new Johnson 25 4-stroke??

whenever you do find the size and pitch, check out ebay, you can save a lot of money on a sst.<br /><br />when i first bought my boat the prop was dinged and bent, so i got a file and filed it down. it ran a lot smoother until i could get it fixed at the local prop shop. <br /><br />do not try and bend it or you might break it.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Wally....if you can feel the vibration, don't run it with the dinged prop. The vibrations you feel are because the prop is outta kilter. Most of the vibrations is being sucked up by the gear case which ain't good. Could cause pre-mature failure of the gears.

wallyevs012

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all who responded. I did one source for a 10 1/4 X 11 SST prop at Cabelas and I just ordered it. I'll have my OEM aluminum prop repaired and kept for a spare. I also saw one prop in catalog I get from my Insurance Co. it had a prop, composite material, four-blade, and you could buy extra blades for it. The prop was 99.99 and if you needed to replace a blade, it was 19.95 each. The blades are held in by SST screws (one for each blade)???? Thanks again, Wally