different problem this time

adam22

Cadet
Hey guys, I finally got that stupid shifting problem fixed. I got the lower unit rebuilt. And now I have just one more problem; I think. (72 Johnson 50HP) Got all that other stuff fixed and took it out the first time, and it ran great except it wont idle. Starts right up, runs great at WOT, but below 1500-1800 range it spits sputters and dies. I think the carbs need to be cleaned out. Question: Do I have to remove the carbs or is there an easier way to clean them out? PS I already changed the plugs, and it has a new fuel tank with fresh fuel{no water)<br /><br />Adam

adam22

Cadet
Re: different problem this time

By the way, this thing sat for about two years before I got my hands on it.

D

DJ

adam,<br /><br />You're on the right track.<br /><br />Yes they have to removed and completely disassembled.<br /><br />It's not that difficult.<br /><br />Stay away from the spray carb. cleaner. It's not good for the engine internals...

adam22

Cadet

Thanks. What about fuel additive? Local parts store has several things "that'l fix er right up"<br />or so they say. I have used seafoam for automotive applications, with great success; but not sure how it would do in my johnson. The can says it works in two strokes. Any input?