different carbs now I've another issue Johnson 60hp... update....

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: different carbs now I've another issue johnosn 60hp

surely a leak in the c/case is not a good thing? can't see stator being the issue esp as all the plugs have good spark and timing is spot on and that it'll rev up to 5000+ while in netural and with back pressure....
think a see a complete strip down to c/case in my future .. has to be the leak in the crankcase, surely this is a main cause of why it won't go???

fishfeatures

I don't really want to tear the whole thing apart to reseal it , so first I'm going to try JB weld and see if it works. I've tried it before on ATV crankcases and it held so I'll ggive it a go.

Haffiman

Commander

If it leaks out it most likely leaks between as well. Difficult to weld on the inside??

fishfeatures

Ok all put back together, ran on muffs, ran in a test barrel and ran in gear and idled in a test barrel. Down to the river I went , put in it and discovered that the linkage connector to the gear shift had come loose on the way down, but it idle and revs increased when throttled up . Re-attached connnector and went to go but BANG.... same cr*p ! it stalled when put into gear and throttled up. It troll in gear idle in gear but once any power applied then nothing it'll just die.

Now at home I noticed once I took off the cowl that the fuel line to the filter was slightly curved. Can a fuel restriction cause this ? but bear in mind that it went and held itself at 5000 rpm with connecctor disengaged. Is it electrical???

Oh yeah the JB Weld held no sign a leak any where around it. Will keep an eye on it.

thanks K.

fishfeatures

No feedback???

Well I'll keep plugging away here anyway.

What I plan on doing is putting a spring on the fuel hose from the fuel connector on the cowl, to the filter. This will stop it from kinking in case that's what is going on when underway. This then will make sure that there are no restriction in any fuel line. The pump is showing no signs that it is not failing. Also i take that she held 5000 rpm when the gear connector was disengaged that there is no issue with high speed jets... and as we know it'll idle so no issue with low speed.

If the spring doesn't work then I'll give up and bite the bullet and pay some damn fool a fortune to fix my prob...

fishfeatures

Just leave the pump as is, with pulse hose on.
However to another question.
This engine, the '3-cyls', are quite sensitive when it comes to the air box and that all gaskets are there and no extra air entering except for the original intake holes. It need the vacuum in the air box to start the main jet circuits.If running without the air box and cover, what you describe is 'normal'.
What you may do, is the following test.
Remove the air-box cover, give full throttle.
Notice the amount of fuel coming up in each center tube.
If no fuel, quickly block the carb throat and check if it starts drawing fuel.

haffiman , tried with both the box on and off ,no difference made to prob.

Haffiman

Commander

Did you block the carbs (individually) to see if they 'flooded' in the carb throats from fuel?
This must be done at sea, WOT for max suction, however even an indication should be given on the muffs and on idle if it is vacuum!

fishfeatures

each carb acted like it was flooded when blocked but only on muffs and at idle in the water, I'll can try it at fast idle too if you like but can't do it at WOT as I can't get there unless gearbox disconnected.

fishfeatures

It just seems that i can troll in gear no issue there , but if I punch it on a bit it'll die out.

fishfeatures

Re: different carbs now I've another issue johnosn 60hp...Calling you experts...

Re: different carbs now I've another issue johnosn 60hp...Calling you experts...

Well NO change, still doing the same cr@p.. it'll throttle up in forward and reverse on muffs (I know I shouldn't do it) it'll throttle up in forward and reverse in a test barrel. Put it in the river and nothing above idle!!! it'll just die just liek that......it's infuriating..... Has to be some thing to do with all the back pressure created by putting it in the river? no ??

I pulled off the head off,and the cylinders are fine, with no sign of water intrusion. I expected as much as the compression is fine but just had to be sure.

Back pressure issue or weak pump are the only things I can think of.

fishfeatures

Re: different carbs now I've another issue Johnson 60hp... update....expert help req!

Re: different carbs now I've another issue Johnson 60hp... update....expert help req!

edit

did you ever solve the problem?

fishfeatures

yeah , cracked and broken reed plates in behind the carbs. Replaced them and haven't looked back since.