Dies when going into rev/forward and rattles 71 merc 800

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dies when going into rev/forward and rattles 71 merc 800

i guess the only thing that throws me off, is the terminology and where all the screws and stuff is located. im so new to outboards and boating in general it makes me nervous a bit. haha. same with the max advance and those parts.

with the shift cable. is it the top cable you need to take off? the bottom one ive tried to before (trying to get to the telltale hose) and it was impossible for me to get off.

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

On mine the shift cable is on the bottom(when shifting the controls the shift cable always moves first.That way you don't shift at high rpm).If yours is like mine you will see a nut on top at the end of the cable.just loosen it enough to slide the plate off to the side.then the cable will pop off.If I remember right I had to take the throttle cable off also to make room.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

the bottom has this weird wingnut that actually doesnt have enough room to even turn. thats why i was having so many problems.

theres more space if i move it all the way forward, but its about an inch away from getting there.

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you have the same as I do.....I don't see why merc would change a design.

Ya Mine looks like that too.......inside the center of that wing nut looking thing there should be a nut.Loosen that nut.

Moody Blue

Captain

No nut on the shift cable retainer. It is a spring loaded device. Push down on the shift cable to relieve pressure then turn the "wingnut" about 1/4 turn until it clears the cable then lift the cable up.

You do have to remove the throttle cable first to get access to the shift cable. The throttle cable is secured with a nut that must be removed.

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

You do have to remove the throttle cable first to get access to the shift cable. The throttle cable is secured with a nut that must be removed.

I did just to make more room.Mine also has a clamp where the cables first go through the engine cowl.

That "wing nut" sure sounds the same as mine.I have to do the same....move it 1/4 inch to the side......except I have a nut down in the center of it.Im taking the boat out today,and ill take some pics of the cables.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

that would be great. thanks.

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

Moody Blue I didn't see er post.Before I posted last.;)

Check out what Moody says he know more than me about different models;)
Sounds pretty easy.