Did they make a non cruiser style boat with an aft cabin?

diveman05

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wasn't sure the best way to word this one, we currently have a 205 Sundowner, we want something a little bigger but aren't sold on the cruiser style boat, my wife's dad has one and its nice but a little bigger and slower than we want.

Anyway cutting to the chase were looking for something in the 23-26' range with a head and an aft cabin, did they ever make a boat like this that isn't a full blown cruiser. I have spent countless hours looking on various boating websites but haven't found what we are looking for. Am i over looking something or searching for the impossible?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Did they make a non cruiser style boat with an aft cabin?

I think they call them sailboats. :D

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know of any boats that would have that set-up. Sounds like you need a cuddy cabin and head. Those can be found in the 22-27' range all over town.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Question is what are you calling a cruiser and what do you consider slow
Maybe just give us more info about what you DO want in ur next boat.

My Monte Carlo is longer than what you want but it runs 48 mph and there are faster cruisers available.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

Like my Avatar but smaller ?
If you want everything aft,,,what do you want up front?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Maybe a mid cabin, but no aft cabin will be available in that size range. Doubtful you will even find anything with a mid cabin except a pocket cruiser.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I've been on a lot of boats the past 50 years and have never seen what you are looking for. Let us know if you find it.

64osby

Admiral

32' Cruiser w/ Trawler Type Hull-Trade

00Y0Y_7kFZtsC9l5d_600x450.jpg

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Albin has a couple of aft cabin boats. The 25 and the 27 are not made anymore but you can find used ones. They both have forward and aft cabins with the galley and head in the front. The aft cabin is mostly berthing.

However, these are diesel boats and are slow trawlers. 10 mph is about as fast as they go, but they are very good on fuel.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Question is what are you calling a cruiser and what do you consider slow
Maybe just give us more info about what you DO want in ur next boat.

My Monte Carlo is longer than what you want but it runs 48 mph and there are faster cruisers available.

What smoke said. Your Sundowner is what's considered a 'cuddy cabin' boat. The cabin is small and very basic. The mid-cabin boat you want (at the small, fast end of the scale) will be an Express Cruiser, like smoke's and mine. Honestly, a 'real' cruiser owner in my area considers an express cruiser as a wannabe.

As smoke also noted, define 'slow.' My 1999, 24' Chris Craft express ran at over 40 mph with a single F.I. 5.7 Volvo duo-prop. My friend's 30 ft Searay with twin 5.7 Mercs can hit 50 mph.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Regal 2550 and 2650 between 1998 and 2009??? are cuddy cabin boats with a pair of aft berths. My kids loved them when they were younger.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Bayliner had a 22 or 23 foot cuddy with an aft cabin back in the late 70's. One of my friends owned one. I'll see if I can find a picture.

EDIT: Here's a picture. It was a 22 footer.
It had a V-P outdrive with a V8 and topped out in the 40's (no kidding!). Many years ago I helped him rebuild the interior. As I recall, the aft cabin was for kids (or really small adults)...:facepalm:

Here's an ad for one in Washington. Notice it says "forward and aft sleeping"....
http://boats.smartcarguide.com/listing/41851549/

Last edited:

diveman05

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bayliner had a 22 or 23 foot cuddy with an aft cabin back in the late 70's. One of my friends owned one. I'll see if I can find a picture.

EDIT: Here's a picture. It was a 22 footer.
It had a V-P outdrive with a V8 and topped out in the 40's (no kidding!). Many years ago I helped him rebuild the interior. As I recall, the aft cabin was for kids (or really small adults)...:facepalm:

Here's an ad for one in Washington. Notice it says "forward and aft sleeping"....
http://boats.smartcarguide.com/listing/41851549/

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Based on your answers mid cabin is far better of a word for me. Reason being is my wife and I do a lot of overnight stays and her friend tags along. Not enough room in the cuddy for her, and I feel bad making her sleep on the folded out seat with the camper top up. Last year was our first year with a boat with any cabin (had open bows the previous 12 years) and we just loved it so that's why we want something bigger just not to big as our local lakes are quite shallow. Also something that our Tahoe can pull comfortably.

I wanted to reply so you didn't think I left you all ;-). But I plan on going through each reply and follow up on each persons advice.

Thanks again so far!

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

To OP - diveman ,
Sounds like your looking for a 23ft to 26ft "Pocket Cruiser " . With 300hp they run well. The photo is poor but many this size have a small crawl into "aft cabin" for sleeping.
Boat Int. (2).jpg

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

I had a 1985 Bayliner Cierra 2450. Pulled it easily with my halfton truck and could trailer it on my own. I would probably suggest looking for something nicer. Way under powered with the 5.0 in it. However we easily slept 4 people comfortably in it. The aft cabin had a full size blow up air mattress (i'd get a futon matress these days) with room to spare. I also wouldn't say you could ski or tube behind it.

Friend had a very similar pocket cruiser with a single 454 in it and that thing got around great. Can't remember the make, but I remember it getting to the 45 MPH mark.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I know of two Carver Twin Cabins for sale in the Green Bay area. Bet they are still on Craigslist.

one was a 25' with a single VP 271C, and the other is a 29' with twin MC 4.3/Alphas

room for 4, shower, dinette, etc.

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I know of two Carver Twin Cabins for sale in the Green Bay area. Bet they are still on Craigslist.

one was a 25' with a single VP 271C, and the other is a 29' with twin MC 4.3/Alphas

room for 4, shower, dinette, etc.

Roomy, but slow as a snail.