did I use the right oil? is my boat ready for the summer?

Seaman84

Seaman
I have a 2004 Volvo Penta 5.0 GL-E & I decided to do maintenance my self, for the lake ready service, Turned on the Engine to warm up the oil, Changed the oil, on the cap it says "SAE 30 Synthetic" but I couldn't find any so I used "Valvoline Max Life 10w-30 Synthetic Blend" 6 quarts. & I changed the Oil Filter to a FRAM oil filter for the Chevy 305 V8, Next I tightened all clamps hoses, & Inspected everything, Now I know I still need to do the Gear Oil on the out drive, replace The "Water/Fuel Seperation filter & Grease the gimball bearing, will be getting to it by next week. I just want to know if I'm correct on everything so far? & if there's any more things I can look out for? all Equiment, Bilge, Battery, Cables, Starter are all good.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: did I use the right oil? is my boat ready for the summer?

No mention of gear lube change, pulling the drive, grease the coupler splines (VERY Important), alignment check, bellows check, impeller or ...............

Here is the maintenance schedule for your engine and drive.

View attachment Maint schedule.pdf

Seaman84

Seaman

No mention of gear lube change, pulling the drive, grease the coupler splines (VERY Important), alignment check, bellows check, impeller or ...............

Here is the maintenance schedule for your engine and drive.

View attachment 193543

Thanks don! I will be getting to the outdrive next week! But should I be okay with the oil & Filter I used?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes