Dhadley answer

bradheil

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br />I posted a response on "Prop Question" but just in case I thought I would reply in person. To answer your question CASH FLOW!!!!. I am disabled now and could not afford the cost of a Jackplate or Gill Bracket. I would have preferred to have either of these over the plate, not only for the structural aspects but also for the trim value. I have had to make do on a very fixed income so whenever something comes along that is just out of reach, I have had to look at other avenues. I guess sinse I have had to be cheap for over seven years now I sometimes forget the obvious. Thanks for bailing me out.<br />Brad

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dhadley answer

Hey Brad. Thanks for the response. Like I said, we have built the transom up like you did many times. I like that way because it stops water coming back in the boat under certian circumstances. I like the manual jackplate because for 195.00 you bolt it on and go. No redrilling or anything. About the biggest thing we run up aginst is on a narrow splashwell we have to relocate the steering. It sounds easy but you know how that goes. Sometimes its not.<br /><br />Sounds like you have a good rig. Have fun!

bradheil

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Dhadley answer

Hello,<br />That was one of the advantages of building the plate. The transom was very low to start with, every time I would back down, more water came over the transom than through the scuppers. I played with the idea of using the jackplate but with the cost factor and the low transom I felt it much more feasible to build the plate. Not only did the plate help with water but it also gave added strength to the transom not that it needed it but in the back of your mind it is a comfort. Where can you get a jackplate for that price? When I was pricing them I could not find one for under $357.00 for the size engine I have. On a different note. I have to give a plug for Bombardier. When I knew I could not keep my old engine running anymore without a total rebuild I thought my boating days would be over because I could not afford the rebuild or a new engine. Before totally giving up though I contacted several engine manufacturer's to let them know of my dilemma. I would either have to sell the boat before the engine went completely, or find a newer engine that I could afford. Several years ago, when I became disabled I started using my boat for charity events, IE; Cruise for Kids, Special Olympics, Inner City youth Fishing trips, etc. not only did it give me something to do but I was able to help others also. I contacted several engine manufacturer's and let them know of my dilemma of having to sell the boat and not being able to help youth in that way anymore. Bombardier stepped in and found a 1999 150hp Johnson Ocean Pro somewhere, offered it to me at a price that was rediculas (how do you spell that) and kept me boating and giving back to our youth. Anyway I was able to sell my old engine for $250.00 more that what I purchased this new engine for, with the difference in shaft length I had to build the plate. The point is Bombardier was very generous, worked with me and allowed me to stay boating while giving something back. It is very comforting to know that there are companies out there who still care about customers, instead of profits. I now endorse Bombardier in all of my quest's.<br />Brad