Depth guage (not fish finder)

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking for a simple dash mount (probably round guage type) depth finder. I am on a large fresh water lake and would like to see the depth, especialy during anchor, launch, and retrieves. My boat is a 21' I/O.

Anyone have recommendations on a brand and mounting type?

sleepinin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Depth guage (not fish finder)

When you search for them use the term "flasher" or "depth flasher" and you'll likely get better results. I know there are lots of different types out there. Try the previous mentioned link or boaters world, west marine, cabelas, bass pro, or on google.

studlymandingo

Commander

Searching for "flasher" on google brings up a whole lot of links that have nothing to do with boating!!! :$

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Searching for "flasher" on google brings up a whole lot of links that have nothing to do with boating!!!

8)8)8)8)8)

I agree. For the price of the sounder, might as well get the whole nine yards...

http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?cart_id=690760835&session_id=398842687&search_type=keyword&keywords=depth+gauge ] Click Here [/url]

And then look here:

http://www.iboats.com/bbboard/bbBoard.cgi?a=redirect;url=%20%20http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eiboats%2Ecom%2Fmall%2Findex%2Ecgi%3Fcart%5Fid%3D690760835%26session%5Fid%3D398842687%26search%5Ftype%3Dkeyword%26keywords%3Ddepth%2Bgauge%20%20 ] Click Here [/url]

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SONAR is SONAR.

Most of the small SONARs can be dash mounted and can be programmed to give only a large, digital, depth display. Eagle Cudas , for example.

It seems like a waste to me to try to exclude a feature you don't plan to use. It won't save you any bux and you may want to look at bottom structure and contour someday.

sleepinin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

studlymandingo said:
Searching for "flasher" on google brings up a whole lot of links that have nothing to do with boating!!! :$

It depends on where you boatd:) There's some lakes around Dallas that may have something in common with those links

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really don't want to mount a fish finder or other device with a display. Besides, it looks like I can get a depth guage for about a hundred bux, wouldn't that equate to a really chessy fish finder?

Anyone out there actualy own what I am looking for?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If all you want is depth, go for it. There are round and square versions. Remember, the trunsducer is typically mounted on the back of the boat so the depth sounder will tell you what you hit, not what you are "about" to hit. This is where a fish finder (or locator to be proper) has it over straight depth sounder. You can see the contour so you stand a little better chance of avoiding the big "thump". But then if you are running 50 MPH you wouldn't likely avoid it anyway. Locators can be had for the same $100 bucks.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a boat that has a round standard 3+ in dia digital depth guage. made by Hummingbird. Does the job for what u want.

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have never had to mount a transducer, do I just stick it in place with some 3m 5200? Does it go at the bottom of the bilge?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Some mount in the bilge, some on the transom. When you buy it, make sure it comes with the type you want. Many epoxy them in the bilge....Some just lay them there and put a weight on them. Do a search on "Transducer" and you should find plenty of info...

vipzach

Lieutenant

When I mounted my transducer, I called Eagle's customer service number and they told me exactly what they recommended to use. Mine is mounted in the bilge, I went to the auto store and bought the exact product that the woman suggested. Eagle had great customer service and I will probly by another Eagle product when I want a fancier one.

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I will do a little more homework and hopefully everything turns out ok