Depth finder problems

whitey224

Seaman
I have been having problems with the depth finder in my 2011 Tahoe Q7i from the first day I took it out. It is the factory Lowrance Depth finder with a through hull transducer. It will work when the boat is sitting still but when I start moving it stops working. It stops reading and just flashes a number. Sometimes it will work for a second and start flashing again. The dealer first tried remounting it but same problem. Next they replaced the whole unit but same problem. They said they have never had one do this before. I am beginning to think some other wiring is causing interference or maybe air pockets in the hull where it is mounted . The boat is in for 20hr service but they said they do not know what to do about the depth finder. Has anyone ever had a problem like this or have an idea what could be wrong? Thanks

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Depth finder problems

My 2008 did the same thing with the same unit. so I bought a hummingbird and ran through all the procedures in the book to find a good spot. There was nowhere that it would read through the hull. I will be mounting it on the transom if I can find a good spot.

whitey224

Seaman

So can you mount the display in the area of the stock one? Do you think there are air pockets in the hull or what? Same problem same boat huh. Let me know if the hummingbird works.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When i bought my glastron the factory one was inop. I went with a hawkeye thru hull. Works great at all speeds. The tech department is amazing and will help you with anything. I also added a humminbird fish finder to the transom... that is going to take some fine tuning to get to work at higher speeds.

What kind of adhesive are they using? Should be a two part slow cure. I bought some at a hobby store for $10. You could test different spots by using wax from a wax ring (toilet) and temp install the transducer. Thats how i found my transducer's sweet spot. Hope this helps!

whitey224

Seaman

That is a good idea with the wax. If they can't figure it out I will try that. It has been glued with the two part stuff both times. Thanks