delco EST on 1989 5.0 omc chevy 305

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice
okay I had a mallory distributor and it made me mad so it had to go. I upgraded to an EST and it ran GREAT, until it didnt. I ran it with the white jumper on the timing shunt still connected and I suspect that is where my demon spawned from. I am wondering if that would cause the module to fail, and what a failing module behaves like, or if this would cause the pickup to fail how a failing pickup behaves. The boat will start and run for about 15 seconds then cut out.
Will start at idle and run for 15-20 seconds.
will start at midrange (2000 RPM) and run for 15-20 seconds.
will NOT go from idle to midrange (trails off and dies)
will NOT go from midrange to idle (trails off and dies)
Sounds STRONG and even when it does run.
I tried extending the run time with ether-it did not extend the run time.
I then figured that there might be some feedback from the alternator so I connected the purple lead (positive lead on the coil) directly to the battery-no extension of time.
Figured MAYBE bad ground-ran a 12 ga wire direct from neg terminal to battery-no difference. I figured that if I had a bad ground the starter would be telling me so, but I figured id try just the same.
Disconnected the tank and tried running it off a small 1 gallon gas tank-no difference,
Changed the fuel filter/water seperator-no water, gas inside was not that full of debris but did not cut the filter.
Changed the carb for one I got from a friend who took it off a running boat-still ran for 15-20 seconds.
When I watch down the throat of the carb, I can see it flowing fuel while running. I checked the compression-good and consistent across all holes.
After it starts and dies I can hit the accelerator pump and it shoots well.
I put the timing light on the coil wire-fires like mad.
I then put the timing light on wire 1 and start it-good and consistent until it dies
I then put the timing light on plug 8-good and consistent until it dies.
I then put the timing light on plug 4-about 12 seconds in, it starts hitting inconsistently then trails off before the engine dies. (obviously going around the timing order 18436572)
I stopped at 4 figuring that I had found the problem. again, what does a bad EST behave like? Obviously I put 3 hours into this POS today and am wondering if I have found the problem.
I dont want to keep throwing money at this problem. Any thoughts?

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: delco EST on 1989 5.0 omc chevy 305

Still have the Mallory? If so try it to see if it makes a difference.

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice

Well, still have the mallory, but dont have the resistor wire. Talked with Lee, the tech guy at Marine Engine Engineering-more to come about that conversation, but he confirms my thoughts that the module is shot. I will be sending Marine Engine Engineering their dizzy back-again, more to come.

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hope it all works out for you.