Defend my Cobra

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just felt the need to defend my Cobra. I have a 1989 195F Reniell with a 4.3 and the omc Cobra drive. I bought the boat from a person I knew well in 1992. This boat was well taken care of. It had 80 hours on it. The only time the boat sees the light of day is when we trailer to the lakes. It is is really good condition. I am a maintenance freak. The boat only gets about 30 hours a year put on it. The engine oil has been changed every year and the outdrive gets changed every 3rd year. With that the lower unit on the out drive failed (600 hours at this point) 2 years ago on my first day of a week long vacation. Table rock lake Mo. The boat was our primary form of entertainment that week so I figured we were screwed. Happened on a Sunday. Called a marine dealer in Srpingfield Mo. on the Monday at 8 Am. They told me to bring it in and they would look at it. Blew the gears out of the lower unit. They found parts 80 miles away. I had nothing to do so I went to get the parts while the mechanic tore it down. Brought the parts back and it was back together. I got my Cobra rebuilt on no notice at all in 9 hours. We were back on the water the next morning. I was 2 grand shorter in the pockets but you can get parts and fix a Cobra. Yes, if it fails again I will likely just go with the SEI products for the same money. For me I guess the point is I have had 1 issue since 1992 with my Cobra and it got fixed quick.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Defend my Cobra

Good that you have gotten good service from your drive.

Most advice on here against Cobras is to people asking if they should buy a boat with a Cobra or any OMC for that matter. I am sure you would agree with that advice since you are probably going to go with an SEI the next time yours breaks.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Good that you have gotten good service from your drive.

Most advice on here against Cobras is to people asking if they should buy a boat with a Cobra or any OMC for that matter. I am sure you would agree with that advice since you are probably going to go with an SEI the next time yours breaks.

Yes, considering that you could have switched to a BRAND NEW SEI drive (with a 3 year warranty) and conversion kit for about the same price you paid for your Cobra rebuild with probably a 90 day warranty. (but you couldn't have gotten back in the water the "next day" though)

Now just a suggestion. From now on, change your drive oil yearly. At the end of the season. (to check for water, contamination, etc)

Also, pull the drive and check the bellows, gimbal bearing and alignment at the same time.

For everyone else looking to buy a sterndrive boat.......don't buy one with the letters "OMC" anywhere in the ad unless about 1997 or newer or so.........

Good luck,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

I just felt the need to defend my Cobra. I have a 1989 195F Reniell with a 4.3 and the omc Cobra drive. I bought the boat from a person I knew well in 1992. This boat was well taken care of. It had 80 hours on it. The only time the boat sees the light of day is when we trailer to the lakes. It is is really good condition. I am a maintenance freak. The boat only gets about 30 hours a year put on it. The engine oil has been changed every year and the outdrive gets changed every 3rd year. With that the lower unit on the out drive failed (600 hours at this point) 2 years ago on my first day of a week long vacation. Table rock lake Mo. The boat was our primary form of entertainment that week so I figured we were screwed. Happened on a Sunday. Called a marine dealer in Srpingfield Mo. on the Monday at 8 Am. They told me to bring it in and they would look at it. Blew the gears out of the lower unit. They found parts 80 miles away. I had nothing to do so I went to get the parts while the mechanic tore it down. Brought the parts back and it was back together. I got my Cobra rebuilt on no notice at all in 9 hours. We were back on the water the next morning. I was 2 grand shorter in the pockets but you can get parts and fix a Cobra. Yes, if it fails again I will likely just go with the SEI products for the same money. For me I guess the point is I have had 1 issue since 1992 with my Cobra and it got fixed quick.

Ayuh,.... Every 3 Years,..??? 'n yer a maintenance freak,..??
When was the drive last pulled to grease the u-joints,..??

like Rick says,... Droppin' the drive lube is the 1st thing I do each Fall,...

Before the 1st freeze....

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Um yeah, I would defend my Cobra too. It's been pain free for over 13 yrs. I could have saved $400.00 had I found this site before I took it into a shop to have a shifting problem fixed. After 3 weeks of waiting for parts, reading old posts and asking questions, Its running awesome again and shifting like whipped butter on the muff on the drive way. Hope to hit the water in a couple of weeks.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

shifting like whipped butter on the muff on the drive way

That of course, doesn't tell you how it's going to shift in the water going to neutral.

So, not to be pouring cold water on your enthusiasm...............don't count your chickens before they're hatched! SAVE YOUR RECEIPT!

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

That of course, doesn't tell you how it's going to shift in the water going to neutral.

So, not to be pouring cold water on your enthusiasm...............don't count your chickens before they're hatched! SAVE YOUR RECEIPT!

What I meant was 3 years ago I took my Cobra in to a shop for shifting problems. The shop (like so many) didn't understand how OMC shifts, so all they did was replace the lower cable. It never shifted right when I got it back, but I was going through radiation/chemo and didn't use the boat hardly at all in that 3 years. The cable broke, and I thought I would try fixing it myself (with help from this site). Had I found this site 3 yrs ago, I could have saved the the money I wasted taking it to the shop.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, the forum wins. I will change the out drive lube every year. I did mis speak, the lub gets changed basically every other year. Fall of the second year. Around 60 hours on average. I thought I was greasing the gimble every year via the zerk on the plate mounted to the hull?? What does that zerk grease? I did the drive shaft zerks every other year when I changed the out drive lube.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You should be pulling the drive every year. Also should be checking alignment every time the drive comes off too.

When I grease the gimble bearing from the zerk on the side of the drive, I turn the bearing while I am doing this so to get grease into the entire bearing.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You have to be careful. Some aftermarket bearings are not greaseable.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Well I have had a good experience with a Cobra as well, mine still has the OE gears in it after 24 years and it gets a gear oil change at the end of every season. I have had to get some seals replaced and the bearing retainer but as far as the drive goes that's it. I do pull it every year to check the bellows/alignment and check and grease the gimble and u joints. Actually if I did have a failure, and my mechanic was still around, I'd just have him rebuild it for me in his shop, he can still do them and I'd trust him way more than any other rebuilder. I am not so sure that I'd do the SEI conversion, the more I have read about them, I have seen that there are failures, yes their warrantee and support are great, better than even OE companies provide, but I am not sure that I'd do that vs a Volvo SX conversion. Yes the Volvo is more expensive but seeing as how it is pretty close to a Bravo strength wise it might be worth the extra money......